Rabbit Food Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Diamond, I've deleted your other message considering the wording.

Her question is: What type of Rabbit Food do you recommend?

Both my rabbits eat Hagen Original Blend Rabbit Pellets! They seem toenjoy them. They also get Timothy Hay, I usually buy different brands,or whatever the store has. And lots of yummy fresh water ;)-MyBunnyLoves Me.

I use Heinold.

Anything with at least 18%+ crude fiber and at least 12%+ crude proteinis a place to start. Some others that are good are Purina,Oxbow, Blue Seal, can't remember the kind Pamnock uses.

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

Hope I wasn't out of place saying something :?

I use Buckeye rabbit feed -- more commonly available out east where the mill is.

Pam

:DIt's fine after all it was my brother who even wrote the "word".:D

Pam,

You're never out of line here. I got the visual in the heading and itjust didn't seem right. Since it was Diamond's brother's choice, I wasconfident that she wouldn't mind.

Not a big deal.

:)

-Carolyn

Buck Jones wrote:
I've used Scarlett, Blue Seal, Purina Complete Chow, and,oflate, Purina Advanced Show Formula for our buns.

Buck
Buck, could you tell me a bit about these higher end foods and whatmakes them different then regualr lets say hagen pellets? are theyfortified with vitamens or just better balenced?

LittleMija wrote:
Buck, could you tell me a bit about these higher end foods and whatmakes them different then regualr lets say hagen pellets? are theyfortified with vitamens or just better balenced?

Well, I can't speak for all foods, but the "higher end" ones sold atfeed stores tend to be fresher and have more frequent turnover thatthose found at chain pet stores where a central purchasing office buysall the feed, then it is shipping to individual destinations.

I chose Purina Advanced Show Formula because it has the protein level Iam looking for at 16%, which is good for adult pet rabbits.Breeders who have lactating does and youngsters might prefer to have ahigher protein level.

Fiber in the Advanced is 15-20%, which are good numbers and healthy forthe rabbits. The ingredients list does not indicate any corn,which by being a carbohydrate easily converts into sugar.There is molasses indicated, but no other sugars, under any euphenisticnames, are apparent.

I like the fact it has a Vitamin E supplement added because it willenhance the buns' coats. Dried lactobacillus adidophilusaides digestion and dried yucca shidigera extract helps to reduceammonia content in the urine.

Not all these ingredients are found in every feed, nor areprotein/fiber levels the same from idividual processers. Itcan still be somewhat of a "black art," because even feed from the samemanufacturer can vary somewhat, depending upon the local mills andprocessing centers. They strive for uniformity, butsometimes that is impossible.

My advice is to attend a local rabbit show and see what people local toyou are feeding to their rabbits. If they want to win shows,you know they are feeding what they consider the best feeds availablein an effort to maximize their buns' physical condition. Youcould ask local breeders as well, for most of them probably show, too.

Buck

Thanks buck, Id definatly like to go to a show.My girls ears are too big to compete though but i still want to havehealthy rabbits because i love them to death.

Maybe my vet knows where to get this feed.

Latest posts

Back