Rabbit becomes UN Litter trained in the bedroom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LexLuv101

Reaction score
I have had Kirby for about a year now and overall its been a wonderful experience. I've had a lot of buns in my past and this is my first one again for years for me and my son. I have to say Kirby is so affectionate, sweet, and amazing and we love the little monster to death.

Here lies the issue. Finally, after months, we have Kirby litter trained. The rabbit has a strange attraction to fabric. Every since he was a baby he would choose to drop his pellets and urine on anything with fabric (at first carpet, rugs, clothes, the couch, and my bed) Yuck, I know. I figured out to place a litter box where he was used to going, and then placing an old towel in there. I have to wash it every other day as you can imagine but he uses it for about six months now and it works well. If the litter box is not in the room then he will just go on the floor of course, but overall he is litter trained with the inevitable droppings around the litter box.

Here's the issue though. Because of changes in the house right now Kirby cannot be let roam as much in the main house and so I want to keep him in our bedroom, where its safe for the little monster to play about for as long as he likes. He could still come out to other parts of the house too but would get to spend more time out of the cage in the bedroom. It worked out really well for two days with him coming to visit in bed and cuddling, having his spots to lay and play...but he WONT use his litter box AT ALL in the room. I figured out he was going under the bed for some reason. Then, it happened. The rabbit went on the bed!!
icon_redface.gif
Of course this is disgusting and I can't have that so I put him back in the cage, wondering why he didnt do that for two days and then, blach.

Well, last night tried it again and this time he went for half a day and a night, but went in this morning and there is rabbit droppings and urine all over the bed.
icon_redface.gif
I threw the stuff in the washer, scrubbed down the mattress with bleach and water, and back in the cage Kirby went.

I just dont understand why he refuses to use his litter box in the bedroom. This is an important thing, though, because I cant stand leaving the poor thing in his cage all the time
icon_sad.gif
We LOVE having him free to play and cuddle with us, and being such an affectionate rabbit he craves this and loves it too, but...
icon_sad.gif

I know that territorial stuff and hormones can interfere with litter training, but would this affect only the bedroom? He is litter trained otherwise and doesn't show any other signs of needing neutered, like aggression or nipping, etc.

I know rabbits should be neutered anyway, but there's absolutely no way its possible for at least months, maybe more. I've been unemployed for awhile now and have a son to take care of and there's NO money left over at all! We are living at the mercy of some family right now as it is.

I kind of have a weird feeling neutering wouldnt be the answer for this problem anyway, as Kirby IS litter trained and Im not sure if thats the issue. It baffles me :nerves1

first i must say ouch,oh no,.you descibed the environment,,but not the poop box,..in the areas he peez/poops try using a standard size cat litter box with his favorite grass,..ie.timothy/orchard with a small plastic ball/with bell inside/cat toy,..he can eat play and do his business too,/what he is doing is marking new territory,and in a weird way showing you love,,though some signs of love we can do without,.sincerely james waller

Even thought he is already litter trained when you are able to get him neutered it probably will help in situations like this where things are rearranged and he willfeel less need to mark anything and everything.
I would try and provide multiple litterboxes in the bedroom and possibly place a towel that he has already peed on in each box so it already has his scent on it.
I have recently had a problem with my cat urinating on my bed.
There are no words to describe how I feel about this. I would rather have all 8 of my rabbits pee on the bed than the cat.
I already have a plastic mattress pad so I would reccommend investing in this mattress saver.
I now use a lightweight inexpensive blue plastic tarp as a coverlet on my bed. Yes this does seem extreme but it brings peace of mind and William the cat doesn't like walking on the plastic.
let us know how multiple litterboxes work and if they don't the tarp will save the bed.

james waller wrote:
first i must say ouch,oh no,.you descibed the environment,,but not the poop box,..in the areas he peez/poops try using a standard size cat litter box with his favorite grass,..ie.timothy/orchard with a small plastic ball/with bell inside/cat toy,..he can eat play and do his business too,/what he is doing is marking new territory,and in a weird way showing you love,,though some signs of love we can do without,.sincerely james waller
LOL I like how you phrased the love part. The litter box is actually an old cat litter box and just has his towel he always used in there. I wash it every other day. I know it sounds yicky but the only way we could figure out how to litter box train. I wanted to try later to change him to something else but he always ignores his bedding for litter when he's out and about (It figures I have a strange bunny lol)

angieluv wrote:
Even thought he is already litter trained when you are able to get him neutered it probably will help in situations like this where things are rearranged and he willfeel less need to mark anything and everything.
I would try and provide multiple litterboxes in the bedroom and possibly place a towel that he has already peed on in each box so it already has his scent on it.
I have recently had a problem with my cat urinating on my bed.
There are no words to describe how I feel about this. I would rather have all 8 of my rabbits pee on the bed than the cat.
I already have a plastic mattress pad so I would reccommend investing in this mattress saver.
I now use a lightweight inexpensive blue plastic tarp as a coverlet on my bed. Yes this does seem extreme but it brings peace of mind and William the cat doesn't like walking on the plastic.
let us know how multiple litterboxes work and if they don't the tarp will save the bed.

Awwww it sounds like you have a similar problem. The cat here used to urinate on my parents bed too lol. My friends cat does on her bed sometimes as well. Animals are strange with beds. Our cat here will use the bathroom *number two, yech* on my laundry if he's let into my bedroom. The cat isn't mine and not neutered, so not much I can do on that but keep him out lol.

I was thinking on some sort of protective plastic later too. Thanks for your advice everyone. I will try the multiple litter boxes and see if this may help. I dont have other litter boxes per se (cat boxes,) but maybe I can dig up some empty cardboard boxes or something until he can be neutered.

Hershey is usually very good about using his litter box also. However we can't let him on the bed! That is just asking for a mess! So the bed is off limits to him. If you're not there to enforce the rule try a plastic covering. You can buy large vinyl table clothes for under $10. If it won't stay on the bed, you can get mattress garters for around $5.00 and secure the corners.

You could also try putting a little bit of litter on top of his towel in his litter box. When he get used to it you can start adding a little more. Eventually you will be able to take out the towel and he won't even notice!

Is there a society near you that helps pay for neutering pets? Look for one the advertises low cost neutering for cats or dogs and see if they will do rabbits also. Just be careful to ask questions to make sure they know how to neuter a rabbit as it is a little trickier than a dog or cat.

Good luck! Hope everything works itself out soon!

Latest posts

Back