QUICK! To the vet's in p.m.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Here is the short version, in case you don't want to read the whole thingy: Later this afternoon I need to take Hershey to the vet. The phone answerer thought it sounded like pnemonia and wanted him in right away.

What questions should I ask to be sure they are doing things correctly? What answers should I expect?

Thanks!

Here's the longer version:

Background: Hershey is 3.5 yo male who was neutered when he was about 8 mos old. I've had him since he was a baby. He has always had his own room downstairs while we were at work. When I came home I'd bring him upstairs with us. I'll admit I didn't do a very good job litter box training him, but he was pretty consistant in peeing in the box.

Heis eating and drinking normally, but I realized he is not climbing or digging in his tunnel.

I have his pellets and veggies and water in the litter box. He will jump in to eat, but even for this he seems reluctant and tries to just reach over the edge first. If he has an urge while he is in the box eating, he'll go, but he won't make a special trip!

He pees right next to the box. I finally put pee pads around the box and he is VERY consistant at peeing on these, in one of 2 places.

He poops wherever he happens to be. It's the same box, same litter, same water bowl, as he's been using for years.

This morning while we were cuddling I heard him wheezing. Everytime he exhaled, he "whistled". I called the vet and they wanted him in asap. (I didn't think he acted that sick!.) The telephone answerer said it could be pnemonia and they need to catch that as quick as possible.

So, I'm off to the vet in a few hours. The main vet is very knowledgeable and reliable, but usually I can't get in to see him and I see an associate, who are not as knowledgeable and reliable.

Pneumonia can fit and does need immediate treatment. Let me find Flashy's recent thread, she just went through this. Hang tight...

sas :pray:

I am not sure any of the symptoms other than the wheezing and being a bit less active are related to pneumonia. It is possible he's less willing to exert himself to get into the litterbox because of the pneumonia, but that's the only way I can tie that symptom in. The vet is right that this should be seen soon. Steroids should not be used in the nebulizer, just a mucolytic (like acetycysteine), an antibiotic, or just water. Best of luck, and make sure they bring out "the big guns" antibiotics, like zithromax or convenia--not Baytril.

Thanks Pip and Tonyshuman! I'm writing some of this stuff down -it's a lot to remember! I'm being cautious because one of the associates once gave me "Catlax" for Hershey's "hairballs"! Fortunately I asked here before I gave it to him!

If anything sounds extreme though, I'm going to insist on a second opinion from the"good" vet!

Hershey didn't get to see the "good" vet! This one said he had URI. Now that we mention it, I can see his eyes and nose is a little goopy too. He gave Hershey some enrofloxacin and Benepac. Hopefully he will be feeling better soon!

Latest posts

Back