Questions on Fecal Frequency...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score

What is a “safe” length of time to wait for a bun’s fecal production to increase before resorting to motility drugs?

My Zoe's always had an irregular poop. This past Monday, she went to the vet for UTI issues; herpoop production has slowed since the visit. (I’m guessing that stress--and possibly the Bactrim she's taking--has slowed things.)

She didn't poop all afternoon, despite being active until 2:30 pm (while in a new, neutral room with Emma.) She has produced a few fecals tonight, but they're very odd (moist to the touch--not mushy, per se--and nearly triangular in shape). I'm keeping a very close watch on herand amsyringe-feeding her extra water.

I'll call Zoe's vet tomorrowmorningif her overnight poop production is pitiful. He'll likely want to give her Reglan again. (On Mon.,he noted that her stomach felt a little more doughy than normal but wasn'toverly worrisome.)

I’m thisclose [/i]to believing that Zoe may require regular intervals of gut-motility medication(s) to keep her “regular.” :(

Thank you,

Jenk

I would go ahead and check with the vet re. motility drugs.

I believe that you said that Zoe has megacolon (hope that I have the right bunny)

I am always worrying about Gabriel and his goofy poops ..sometimes like a cowpile and sometimes small and dry. he also has megacolon.

My late bunny Bun Bun had GI stasis secondary to URT infection and so he was put on critical care from oxbow and he always had that "crescent" shape poop that was firm but odd shapped.

I always wondered why it was shaped that way and if there was a special reason. He was also on motility drug like metochlorpromide & laxative.

angieluv wrote:
I would go ahead and check with the vet re. motility drugs.

I believe that you said that Zoe has megacolon (hope that I have the right bunny)

I am always worrying about Gabriel and his goofy poops ..sometimes like a cowpile and sometimes small and dry. he also has megacolon.
Zoe's not been "officially" diagnosed with Megacolon, but her vet said that she may always have odd poop. (To me, that's akin to saying that she may haveMegacolon.)

Zoe's poop ranges from small/dry, to large/triangular/moist. Sometimes there's a small trace of stringy mucous, though that's more rare for her.

I'll definitely call her vet tomorrow morning to ask if the Bactrim could be the main cause and how to proceed. For tonight, though, I'll give all of her medications as previously indicated.

Thanks, angieluv. You seem to know what to say to calm me (as much as is humanly possible). ;)

mochi_ball wrote:
My late bunny Bun Bun had GI stasis secondary to URT infection and so he was put on critical care from oxbow and he always had that "crescent" shape poop that was firm but odd shapped.

I always wondered why it was shaped that way and if there was a special reason. He was also on motility drug like metochlorpromide & laxative.
The whole bunny-gut issue is such a mystery--even to veterinarians, it seems. It gets disheartening, the feeling of helplessness and uncertainty. :(

The whole gut issue thing is a worry..gabriel has never been diagnosed with megacolon but he is the hotot/Engish spot breed and he does fit the symtoms.
There is a lot of controversy re. the gut motility drugs and there safety.

IIf there is an obstruction the motility drugs would be very dangerous so an x-ray needs to be taken before they are administered.
I have used the motility drugs and have never had an issue with them..if anything they have helped.

angieluv wrote:
The whole gut issue thing is a worry..gabriel has never been diagnosed with megacolon but he is the hotot/Engish spot breed and he does fit the symtoms.
There is a lot of controversy re. the gut motility drugs and there safety.

If there is an obstruction the motility drugs would be very dangerous so an x-ray needs to be taken before they are administered.
I have used the motility drugs and have never had an issue with them..if anything they have helped.
If I truly needed to x-ray Zoe every time her gut slowed, she'd be having x-rays taken every six weeks on average. Not good.

I actually watch her poop like a hawk and notice the first signs of it slowing; so the vet and I catch the situation quickly, not giving her a chance to truly "stop-up," so to speak. Plus, I always administer additional fluids when Zoe gets a new medication (esp. an antibiotic) to help keep things moist enough to move smoothly once the motility drug kicks in.

I've read that there are negative side effects from motility drugs, at least if they're administered long-term. (I believe it's Reglan that maycause heart failure over time.) Still, when faced with no poop passage in the present time...and what may (or may not) happen down the road...I'll have to side with the motility drugs. :?

I usually dont panic unless its been about 24 hours with little/no poops.

Why is she on Bactrim? If shes sensitive already to foods, the Bactrim might also be throwing her off. I would ask about an injectible antibiotic instead, which are much less stressful on the GI tract. Your vet can show you how to administer the shots so you can do them at home.

Also, remember they can pick up on our stress so try not to worry too much (I know its difficult ;))

Haley wrote:
I usually dont panic unless its been about 24 hours with little/no poops.

Why is she on Bactrim? If shes sensitive already to foods, the Bactrim might also be throwing her off. I would ask about an injectible antibiotic instead, which are much less stressful on the GI tract. Your vet can show you how to administer the shots so you can do them at home.

Also, remember they can pick up on our stress so try not to worry too much (I know its difficult ;))
Ironically, Zoe produced better poops overnight and into this morning. But the vet said that, due to her slowdown for the past few days, he'd like her on Reglan for several days.

The Bactrim is for cystitis. (Zoe showed UTI symptoms for about 12 hours last week.)

If the Bactrim continues to give her problems, I'll ask injectible antibiotics--though I'm not sure if they're commonly used for UTIs.

I'm trying to worry less--and I'm singing more to my girls to help relax us all. :) I also play relaxing music (e.g., Enya, Sarah McLachlan, etc.) to calm all of us.

I just wanted to mention that I know of some buns that have sucessfully become more 'regular' with a daily dose of cisapride. All motility drugs have their risks as you know, and if possible an xray would be ideal. However, when one of my buns starts to slow down (small or fewer poops) I go ahead with the cisapride without the xray. I have been told by the vet that if the rabbit is still passing poops AND wanting to eat somewhat, it does not have a blockage and it is safe to proceed. Apparently if there is the blockage a rabbit will NOT eat, unless the problem is masked with pain meds. Really depends on the bun though, but I wouldn't worry as much with motility drugs as I would with a potential mass/impaction in tummy.

Also, when I have seen the 'teardrop' or triangle shaped poops it was because there was some mass in the stomach. I am guessing you groom her often? I am totally not kidding when I say I have to groom one of my guys twice a day. If I skip a day, I already notice a change in poops. Your description of small/dry, to large/triangular/moist poops sounds like chronic slowdown rather than megacolon- only megacolon bun I knew had VERY large poops (as in 1.5cm+ in diameter) or none at all, but again every bun is different. Hope this helps somewhat!

dquesnelwrote:

...I know of some buns that have sucessfully become more 'regular' with a daily dose of cisapride. All motility drugs have their risks as you know, and if possible an xray would be ideal. However, when one of my buns starts to slow down (small or fewer poops) I go ahead with the cisapride without the xray. I have been told by the vet that if the rabbit is still passing poops AND wanting to eat somewhat, it does not have a blockage and it is safe to proceed. Apparently if there is the blockage a rabbit will NOT eat, unless the problem is masked with pain meds. Really depends on the bun though, but I wouldn't worry as much with motility drugs as I would with a potential mass/impaction in tummy.

Zoe's always still passing poops and eating heartily when I catch her gut slowdown(based upon her poop quality/quantity).She doesn't takepain meds. much regularly, so a potential blockage wouldn't be masked in that regard.

...When I have seen the 'teardrop' or triangle shaped poops it was because there was some mass in the stomach. I am guessing you groom her often?...Your description of small/dry, to large/triangular/moist poops sounds like chronic slowdown rather than megacolon--only megacolon bun I knew had VERY large poops (as in 1.5cm+ in diameter) or none at all, but again every bun is different. Hope this helps somewhat!

I don't groom her daily, though I will when she's shedding. The vet has palpitated her digestive tract a million times; no mass was found--not even from the set of x-rays once taken. (At that time, gas and food were found to be a bit built-up in her cecum, which makes me wonder if it malfunctions.)

It's funny that you mention megacolon likely causing ultra-large poops, or a complete absence of poops. Zoe can/does pass huge poops. (She's a Mini Rex but can pass Flemish Giant-sized poops.) She does, however, pass more "normally-shaped" poops at times, although they're usually still a bit large for her breed.

Back