Questions about rabbit care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitlover04

Reaction score
my name is katie and I am 14 yrs old. i dontreally know much about rabbits but i really want one for christmas. cansum1 plz answer a few questions i have?

1. Are they better indoors or outdoors

2. If it is a girl, is that bad if you do not get it spayed

3. Do rabbits need to go to the vet very often

4. How big of a cage do rabbits need

5. Are femaleholland lop rabbits mean or do they make a good pet?

6. Is 4 weeks old to young to by a rabbit at?

Please let me know if you have the answers to any of these questions sothey hopefully i can become informed enough to get a rabbit forchristmas. thanx so much for making my christmas wish come true. have agreat day!

rabbitlover04 wrote:
my name is katie and I am 14 yrs old. i dont really know muchabout rabbits but i really want one for christmas. can sum1 plz answera few questions i have?

5. Are female holland lop rabbits mean or do they make a good pet?

Please let me know if you have the answers to any of these questions sothey hopefully i can become informed enough to get a rabbit forchristmas. thanx so much for making my christmas wish come true. have agreat day!

1)I have an indoor rabbit and he is fine. I like him indoors since Iget to play with him more. But you need to bunny proof the area he isin. You can still take him outside on the leash.

2)You need to get female/male sprayed since their personality becomesbetter and they will live longer and avoid some health problems.Females can be agressive if not sprayed.

3)Not very often since they don't need shots. Just when they have problems.

4)Of course, the bigger the cage, the better. They should be able to play/stretch inside the cage.
Also it depends on how much outside the cage time they get.

My opinions:

1. In my experience, house rabbits are much more outgoing and happy.

2. I have two does that are not spayed. They tendtobe more territorial andpresent dominancy, butother than that, they are fine and healthy. It is said thatspaying and neuteringis much healthier for a rabbit.

3. Ionly take my rabbits to the vet if there is anyindication that theyhave a health problem. I havenever taken Iszy or Lenci to a vet.

4. For cages, I use 4X4 puppy kennels - a lot of room to play!

5. All rabbits have different personalities. I don't reallythink it has a lot to do with thebreed.

To answer your questions:

1. Are they better indoors or outdoors? Personally, I like to have myrabbits inside with me, especially as I live in a colder climate. Ihave no experience with outdoor hutches, although I know many membershere have outdoor rabbits who are very happy and healthy.

2. If it is a girl, is that bad if you do not get it spayed? Yes. A doethat is not spayed has a higher risk of developing cancer, plus herlife expentancy is much shorter than a spayed doe. I have a femalerabbit who I've had spayed and am MUCH happier for it. She has calmeddowna lot and is much more affectionate with us now.

3. Do rabbits need to go to the vet very often? No, unless there is aproblem. Rabbits do not need vaccinations, and unless it gets sick, youshould be in the clear. Of course, getting him/her spayed/neutured is avet visit, but other than that you shouldn't have to go to the vet asoften as a cat or a dog.

4. How big of a cage do rabbits need? The bigger the better! Especiallyif your rabbit is going to be in the cage most of the time. Most of ushere have made our own cages. There are several ways to do so, there isa thread about building cages (which is cheaper than buying one in astore).

5. Are femaleholland lop rabbits mean or do they make a goodpet? I have no experience with Holland Lops, but as far as a I knowbreed has little to do with whether or not a certain rabbit makes agood pet. I have three different breeds of rabbits, all in the samecage, all making good pets. (Two males and a female)

6. Is 4 weeks old to young to by a rabbit at? Yes, 4 weeks old is muchtoo young to get a baby bunny. Idealy, you should wait until the rabbitis at least 8 weeks old.

I think everyone pretty much covered in but I'll throw in my 2 cents :)

Pet rabbits should be indoors, lawn ornaments belong outdoors.

Spaying decreases the risk of cancer, although the surgery itself (like any surgery) may pose some health risks

In general, no -- although I do recommend a yearly check-up.

Generally, 2 x 2 feet is good for smaller pet rabbits if given daily exercise.

5. Are femaleholland lop rabbits mean or do they make a good pet?

It depends on the individual. Hollands that stand up in ahigher stance are prone to being nippy and excitable. Males(bucks), in general, have better temperaments than females (does).

Way to young. In some states (such as mine), it is illegalto sell pet rabbits under the age of 8 weeks. The younger therabbit, the higher the mortality (death) rate. I recommendthat the bunny be at least 10-12 weeks of age or adopting a maturerabbit from a shelter.

pamnock wrote:

Way to young. In some states (such as mine), it is illegalto sell pet rabbits under the age of 8 weeks. The younger therabbit, the higher the mortality (death) rate. I recommendthat the bunny be at least 10-12 weeks of age or adopting a maturerabbit from a shelter.

I knew that 4 weeks old was way too young to sell or give away a bunny.I didnt know that it was illegal in some states. (Great news) I'mcurious as to which states it is illegal in.

Lanna

I don't have a listing offhand, however, there isno state law regulating sale age in Ohio. Yes --PAand I believe in New York. The law is not very restrictivehowever -- and does not regulate the sale of young bunnies for purposesother than pet sales.

Pam

Latest posts

Back