Question about what my vet told me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaoticness

Reaction score
My rabbit has been to 3 vets in his life time. Obviously we're at one in my home state that I am familiar with as I have taken my hamsters there in the past. This vet was very informative about my rabbit and allowed me to look into his ear and into his mouth(which we can see what is possibly causing his incisors to be misaligned). However my vet did go further with me in told me way more about my Holland Lop than my other previous 2 vets did let alone any research I did on his species.
What the vet said has me reeling in a confused stance as I want to get another lop for my rabbit but due to what I was told it put me off, my vet said that and I quote 'Holland Lops are like the Bulldog of the rabbit world' he'll evidently have dental issues(his molars are currently overgrown but aren't causing an issue but I am watching him), his ear canals are small so he'll have ear issues later down the line(I'm not sure if it's breed related or just because of the dwarf gene he has). I'm sure there's more but I made a phone call to my mom talking to her about the vet appointment rather than messaging her it(my bad) but it just shocked me is all of this true cause if it is then despite all those things I truly love my bunny and I am eyeing to get another lop in this house hold, it's a negative taste in my mouth however I love lops(and my baby) so much and am willing to deal with that burden 🥺

Aw, sorry to hear your bunny isn't well!
Some lops are flat faced aka brachycephalic, similar to a bulldog, pug etc. so they have less room in their mouths, but the same amount of teeth to fit in it!
Likewise the unnatural lop ears mean the ear canals are smaller, making them more prone to ear problems and infections, I'm afraid your vet is right there.
That's not to say uppy eared rabbits don't have these problems too - they are just less prone to them.

It is a possibility with Holland lops, but it also is possible to never have an issue. I've had 2 HL live to be 10, and neither ever had a dental or ear problem. Yes it can happen. HL are more prone than some other breeds. But it isn't a certain fate, especially if you take care to provide a good diet for proper tooth wear, and have regular dental and ear checks to help minimize the chances and try and catch a problem in the early stages if it does happen.

If you're set on a lop, there are other breeds that don't have the HL head trait risks. There are mini lops, French lops, English lops, and velveteen lop. Though that isn't to say there isn't any risk with other rabbit breeds, just not as prone as HL.

Appreciate all the advice given. I just have to keep track of him for any signs he's struggling with his mouth then he'd go back in for some dental work(RIP my bank). So far he's not had any issues at all and I'm not sure how to help him grind his back teeth down other than his normal foraging toys and enrichment

The Holland Lop can have issues with mouth/nasal area as well as ears due to the physical structure of the breed, just as it can happen in some dog breeds.

It's an increased risk, but certainly not a guarantee, that members of certain animal breeds can develop health issues. I would think there are some statistics out there, but I have not seen any for rabbits.

My personal perspective is: Given a increased risk of x occurring, if x were to occur, would I be able to support the animal's needs for the remainder of its life? Such needs could include a special housing environment, increased time & personal care, routine medical visits, and, of course, higher expenses.

For Holland Lops, ear issues could lead to partial or complete deafness, increased vet visits for ear cleaning, and/or daily medical applications. Teeth issues could lead to malocclusion and quarterly vet visits for teeth grinding; removal of incisors is possible in some circumstances, which would mean a special diet. Imaging may be needed in either circumstance.

Don't let risk scare you -- just be aware of it and have a plan to manage it :)

Check with rescues in your area--they may have someone who will be less expensive--why I learned to cut their nails--$10 per rabbit times 17 hurt my retirement income every other month!
$10/bunny? Perhaps you are getting a volume discount. My vet charges $20 for each of my 2 bunnies. But doing their nails makes me nervous so I pay.

We knew the Vet very well and they knew all our bunnies were rescues so I did get a break. Then I talked to the techs and they showed me how to do it--my son holds and I clip. There used to be a "how to" video or 2 here about clipping.

Back