Question 4 Pam: Can You Tell Me the Breed of My Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
Hi, Pam! I'm new here but have been lurking a while. I've learned so much from this forum.

I adopted a bunny from one of the rescue groups on thisSaturday. He's the most wonderful bun! Can youplease try to tell me his breed by looking at the photobelow? (Sorry there isn't more detail; he refusedto cooperate with us while we were taking his picture:(.)

This is what I do know about him:

1) He's not a pure breed.

2) He weighs 10 pounds.

3) His eyes are redder than they appear in this picture.

4) He's two years old.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[align=center]
Sherman4rabbitforum.jpg
[/align]

This looks like a CALIFORNIA rabbit, if it has these feature it must be:

1. white body, colour (usually brown or black) to features such as the ears and nose like in your picture

2.Good quality fur (smooth)

3. red eyes

And from your picture it seems to display all these. Go to a vet orsomeone who can recognise it up close but i am pritty sure thats whatit is. Hope it helps.

:):D

Thanks so much, Carrots! That sounds pretty close to me! :)

You can't tell it well in this photo, but his ears, nose, and the ringaround his mouth is a silver-grey. His tail is also mixedsilver-grey and white.

Thanks again!

Hi Bunnymommy,

Would you be able to email me a photo? The one on your postwasn't working for me, and the Avatar is so small that it's hard for meto see the fur type and color. Other large breeds come in thesame color (Satin & Rex) as the commercial Californian breed,and a number of meat producing breeds are crossed with the Californian(commonly the American Sable, but they are also bred to other largebreeds including semi-arch body types to improve thehindquarters). Do you have other photos so I can get a betterindication of the body type?

The markings originated from one of the oldest known breeds, the Himalayan.

Pam

Hey, Pamnock!

Thanks so much! Let me figure out how to shrink them somemore so I don't eat up your storage space when I send them.

Oh! I may be able to link you to the photos. I havethem uploaded on to the Net on one of my personal websites.If so, I'll send you the links.

Give me just a few minutes.

Thanks again!

--Angela

Okay, it's done! :D

Pam, I just sent you three photos through the Share-A-Photo function ofmy family website. I hope these views will be clear enough.

Thanks!

Hi Bunnymommy,

The photos came through very well. He actually appears to bea beautiful "blue" cal marked rabbit (not a common color in thepurebred Californian). He's moulting, so it's hard for me totell by the coat, but it doesn't appear to be a classic "flyback"Californian coat. I'd guess a breed such as Rex or Satin isin his background due to the color. The way he's laying out,it's hard for me to tell, but it's possible there was also some mixingof a semi-arch type breed,although his ears really are notindicating that to me. The Californian is often used toimprove the body type of many types of breeds, resulting in many mixedbreeds that don't fit a standard. It's common in the meatindustry to mix the breeds for hybrid vigor.

He certainly is beautiful, and I know you are going to enjoy the wonderful personality of a larger breed!

Pam

Thanks so much, Pam! He's a wonderful bunny, so sweet and mild.

I can't believe you can tell that he's moulting from thephotos! He most certainly is! :shock:When we went to pick him up he was outside and fur was flyingeverywhere!

Again, thanks for the analysis. I wanted to know his breed sothat I could research his needs and preferences further. NowI have a starting point.

Latest posts

Back