Pure Dried Grass

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delusional

Reaction score
Just wondering if this would be any good for the buns, either mixed in with hay or on its own?

I'm having real trouble finding any decent hay at a decent price. The only farm around here that will sell me a bale, only does bales 3' x 3' x 6'. Even if I could fit that amount in my flat, which I can't, I couldn't get it home.

So I'm stuck with rather brown, thick stuff from pet shops or supermarkets, at silly prices. The rabbits go through two bags in a week, sometimes more, because they won't eat a large amount of what's in the bag - dry, brown, chunky stalks.

This dried grass stuff looks quite green, and it's cheaper than the hay I'm buying, but does it still have everything in it that they need?

Here's a link to the page: http://www.friendshipestates.co.uk/pure-dried-grass/view-all-products.html

ETA: Also what about Spillers Readigrass? http://www.bunnybasics.net/spillers-readigrass-18kg-sack-p-649.html

The dried grass sounds just like Orchard or Meadow hay. That's basically all it is. My feed store always has a couple of "local grass" bales. The bunnies do like them, they are richer though.

You can always give it a try. See if your bunnies like it.

Also, some hay places will let you break a bale and only take what you want. They may or may not charge you for the whole bale. You can just bring a large bin or some large plastic bags to fill. I would call them up and ask, as that's probably going to be the best way to get cheap hay.

--Dawn

For some reason I remember hearing that Readigrass and similar dried grass products were more rich than and may upset bunny tummies if fed too much? I'm not sure, we don't have that here. Go ahead and try it but start with just small amounts.

Are there any rabbit rescues in your area? Ask if they get hay in bales and see if you can give them a donation to take a partial bale. Or if they get smaller bales that you could fit in, find out where they get them from. You can try at horse stables too. Many are willing to work with people.

Thanks guys. Yeah I did a bit of reading this afternoon and got the general idea that it may upset tummies if fed to much.

Soo.. back to the search for hay. I did ask the farmer if I would be able to take part of a bale, and he said no, so that's that one out. But I will definitely try asking at the stables near here. =)

Do you know of any other bunny owners close to you? You could all share one bale, and that would probably be a nice managable amount.

Horse stables are a great idea too. They would probably be most willing to let you buy a split bale off of them. They will have open bales every day...

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back