Pumpkin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoh

Reaction score
Pumpkin is safe for buns right? I have seen it one some lists and not on others, I was just wondering if I should give Lucy a little piece.

Joy

Yup its fine. Its nutritional value is good for bunnies- its lower in carbs and high in fiber. Plus most think its a treat.

Just make sure youre getting the 100% pure pumpkin in the can and not the pumpkin pie mix, theyre usually right next to eachother and the "mix" has added sweeteners.

I like to give mine a little spoonful every now and then and they just love it.

Its also good to keep on hand in case you have GI issues. I always put a bunch in the ice tray and once its frozen transfer it to a freezer bag and keep it frozen until you need it.

its fresh pumpkin we are carving right now. its not canned from the store its fresh from the farm market

joy

Okay I read the whole thread, I'm still confused. Does it HAVE to be cooked or do people just cook it because it's easier to give to a sick bunny?

Joy

I dont think anyone really knows. And, if it were me, since we cant find solid facts on whether raw is ok, I would go ahead and cook anything first just to be safe.

So does anybody know if any other veggie/fruit that is on the safe list is suppose to be cooked? I think there should be a notation on the list, same for oranges, bananas etc. they can't eat the peel of an orange but can eat the peel of a banana. How is a person suppose to know this if it isn't noted. We also have a guinea pig, guinea pigs can eat the peel of an orange as well as the rind of melon....can a bunny eat the rinds? The list just says melon.

I think I will stick to greens, can't go wrong with good old romaine.

Thanks,

Joy

Ok are pumpkin seeds (raw) good for bunnies? I'm carving pumpkins right now and don't want to waste the seeds and everything from inside. if i need to cook it, should it be boiled, baked? what?

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I'm carving pumpkins right now and don't want to waste the seeds and everything from inside. if i need to cook it, should it be boiled, baked? what?

Most people bake them...

As for not wasting the seeds why don't you roast them for yourself?

tundrakatiebean wrote:
I'm carving pumpkins right now and don't want to waste the seeds and everything from inside. if i need to cook it, should it be boiled, baked? what?

Most people bake them...

Oooh yum! I loved baked pumpkin seeds- make sure you put lots of salt on them!

Haley - I put curry on mine, they're delicious

I gave Wash some raw pumpkin last Friday, he munched it down like a fiend and didn't seem to have a problem with it, but I would think that too much of it (like any treat) would be a bad idea. Most gourds have a lot of water and fiber in them so they would probably cause diarrhea in large amounts...

Haley wrote:
tundrakatiebean wrote:

Most people bake them...

Oooh yum! I loved baked pumpkin seeds- make sure you put lots of salt on them!

Nothing's better then a warm salty pumpkin seeds fresh out of the oven....

*drooling*

Latest posts

Back