Pumpkin causing gas??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnieRosanna

Reaction score
This is going to sound very strange to a lot of bunny owners, as it is strange to me, but there has recently been a repetitive pattern of feeding my bunsa spoonful each of cannedpumpkin as a treat (100% pure organic pumkinFarmers Market...NOT for pie recepie)...and painful gas episodes beginning almost immediately as a result.

This has happened 3 times in the past few weeks, twice for our rex Lara and once on our boy Harrell,and this is too weird for it to be anything else. Lara was very ill last night for 3 hours, she had to have lots of tummy massage, pedialite and some oval. She finally started to sit up, groom and begin to eat 3 hours after she had flopped eyes slit and panting. She was vibrating as she was in so much pain.

The pumpkin is within it's best before date, it has good consistency, smells good...but I am wondering if there is something else in it not making my buns unwell, like a bad batch. It's not given as a treat every day, perhaps twice a week an hour or so after pellets and some hay snacking.

As someone who has sworn on pumpkin's ability to reduce hair blockages and keep the tract full offibre (in addition to hay) this is very concerning. I am now going to stop this altogether. Once could be termed a 'one off' but three times in a row is more than just a cooincodence when they are otherwise healthy and bouncing around beforehand eating hay etc..

If anyone can relate to this specific observation -- her tummy had 'dropped' down, it was hanging down a bit baggy making her pelvis outline noticeable.... I have seen this before on her and it's a sign she has painful gas. After she has recovered, her abdomen is back to normal again. Is this common?? has anyone else observed this before on their bunny in statis or gas? So strange about the pumpkin though.....

You know every animal has a different reaction to different foods; I doubt if yourpumpkin is spoiled; your rabbit just cannot tolerate it .

I actually have had experiences of my rabbits getting really loose poop from pumpkin but that is probably whenI gave them too much.

pumpkin doesn't nexessarily work for every bun...

Thanks....yes, it might be that way now. Funny that they used to be just great with it, used to eat it all the time, now we have reduced it and it's less often, there have been these reacts....

That is pretty interesting. It definitely sounds like she was going through a pretty serious gas episode. The only thing I can think of is that this batch of pumpkin was made from a variety of pumpkin that contains more sugar. I know some varieties are sweeter than others, and perhaps the one they use to make the organic stuff, or even the one they used lately to make the stuff you used, was from one of the sweeter/more sugary varieites.

Hmmm... I've got a few cans of that that I bought at Capers in October, I should see if I get a reaction.

It may be that particular batch has an 'issue'. Bunnies can react to any food, and they can grow intolerant as they age, but if its happening to both Harrell and Lara, I'd be suspicious.

BTW, I found that different brands can have widely different fiber content, btw, although 16% is the highest I've seen. The ED Smith (expensive) brand at the grocer is 4% while the cheap No-Name brand is 16% as well. Very odd!

PPS: Can I borrow a bag of hay until Tuesday? :biggrin2:

Nose pets for my bunnysittees!! I miss them! (And you guys too!)

sas :bunnydance:

That is interesting! My Libby's pumpkin has 9g total carbs, 5g of which is fiber and 4g of which is sugar. The Farmer's Market Organic has 10g total, 4g sugar and 4g fiber, so that means it has 2g "other carbs". Maybe that's the difference? I typically feed my guys a puree of "Spooktacular" variety pumpkins grown organically, but there are other varieties, like sugar pumpkins.
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/pumpkins/varieties.cfm

Old thread, but I did recently try this Farmers Market brand of canned pumpkin, and my bunnies didn't like it much. Back to good old No Name! (Or is it President's Choice?) The Safeway brand is my favorite because it comes in small cans. ;)

sas :bunnydance:

I don't know if you can buy another brand but possibly that would help

Anyway my rabbits get big soft poops from too much pumpkin so I feed it really only when there is impending stasis.

It doesn't work for every rabbit soI definitely would not feed that brand.

I remember a while back there was some organic canned pumpkin that didn't have as much fiber, or something? I guess we have to read the labels more closely...

Latest posts

Back