preg does and food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy05

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you need to feed a doe any differently when she is preg? Curently Dandy gets a small amount of pellets at night, and about 2 romaine leaves, some cilantro, parsley and broccili every morning, and then any other veggies that I have in the house. She also gets the occasional carrot and slice of apple. Oh yes, and unlimited supply of timothy hay.and of course fresh water. should i put her back on alphalpha or change the veggies or anything? I'm just thinking that with a pregnant cat, you would normally put her back on kitten food.

I have gone through quite a few pages on this site looking for any posts that might help with my questions, but I am unable to find anything so far.

We bred her today witht he buck next door, he is smaller of course, so our 14 days from now to pallpate her belly falls on Aug 27, and 30 days for the approx birth date falls on, sept 12th.

Any info would be great, thanks.

Personally, with my own herd, I do not change their dietat all until they are about ready tohave their babies. Usually,IVERY gradually increase theirfoodabout4 days before they areto give birth. Then, when the babies are about 10 days old, I feed her double the amount. It really depends on the size of the litter.

Sharon

Also, I am moving this to the rabbitry.

We generally don't increase feed for the smaller breeds. However, I do slightly increase the feed for large breed does that are going to have large litters.

Pam

She is a lop as I'm sure you can tell from the pic, I'm not sure how much she weighs, but I think she is a fairly decent size.

I will try and find a scale to weigh her on,...(I don't have one in the house.), and then I will let you know how big she is.

Thank you for the info, and if any of you have anything else to add, that would be great.

If I notice that the does are cleaning out their food dishes I will increase feed but very few of my does start eating more. I think Purina? Makes a doe and litter feed but i'm not sure if that applies to pregnant does.

Julia

Latest posts

Back