Pre-emptive Pain Relief?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
If a bun commits a deed that is likely to cause discomfort (esp. muscular/skeletal pain), is it a bad idea to treat with Metacam--even if pain symptoms aren't yet definite?

My Cali boy scaled the NIC panels lining his wall. From the ruckus he caused, I assume that he first hooked his feet into the panels and climbed/fell over them, or he "perched" on them before falling on the other side of them.

Either way, he had a struggle and a drop (the panels are stacked two-high). I worry about him having muscular/skeletal pain as a result. What really got me concerned is that he voluntarily returned to his pen early (during his AM exercise routine). He loves his time out, so that's very much unlike him. Plus, when he returned, he went straight for his water, then food. (Someone mentioned that a bun may drink more water when in pain.)

Thank you,

Jenk

A bun can drink more when they are in pain but they can drink more when anxious, hungry, excited or just plain thirsty.

What does his movement suggest to you, does he look/act like he is injured?

I have seen buns do similar things and haven't Metacamed, I have just watched them and observed them to see if there is any indication of anything wrong, and if there is, then I wouldn't hesitate.

Flashy wrote:
A bun can drink more when they are in pain but they can drink more when anxious, hungry, excited or just plain thirsty.
Quite right. Still, it was his willingness to stop his exercise time to return to his pen that concerns me.

What does his movement suggest to you, does he look/act like he is injured?
At the moment, no. He seems to be moving normally (which he did the last time he had unexplained pain symptoms shortly before we left on vacation).

I have seen buns do similar things and haven't Metacamed, I have just watched them and observed them to see if there is any indication of anything wrong, and if there is, then I wouldn't hesitate.
During his last pain episode, I couldn't even get him to move. Literally. I gently pushed his behind, and he just let his front end slide across the hard floor.

Wait. Have you been on holiday? How did it go?!?!?!? Did you have a good time? Were all the bunnies fine?

If he was mine and he was acting as you say,then I personally would probably just carry on observing, and also giving favourite treats (which I know is tough for you because of their diet history) to keep assessing how interested he was in food and what was going on around him. However, only you can know what feels best for your buns.

What does your gut instinct say?

Flashy wrote:
Wait. Have you been on holiday? How did it go?!?!?!? Did you have a good time? Were all the bunnies fine?
Yes, we (i.e., everyone)survived the trip. It was peaceful but also a little trying at times. (We had no t.v./internet access and nearly no cell-phone access.) But all in all, it was a good trip.

The bunnies seemed entirely fine upon our return, though the girls were shedding like mad! (I got a little panicky at the thought of them ingesting all the fur, since stasis seems to be their middle name. But so far, they're pooping A-okay. Plus, I've removed a ton of fur from them, so as to keep additional fur from their gut....

If he was mine and he was acting as you say,then I personally would probably just carry on observing, and also giving favourite treats (which I know is tough for you because of their diet history) to keep assessing how interested he was in food and what was going on around him. However, only you can know what feels best for your buns.

What does your gut instinct say?
So far, I'd say that he's acting "normally" and has certainly been eating a lot of hay. But he acted "normally" the last time, too--right up to the moment when he stopped moving/pooping/eating until 10 hours' after having Metacam.

He's already drank more water in the last 12 hours' than he typically does. What's confusing, though, is that he's consumed muchhay (which, true, can account for increased thirst). But that's exactly what he did the last time, too: ate a ton of hay, drank a ton of water, *BOOM!* showed signs of pain.

I wouldn't give him any meds. I think any pain would have shown up by now. The stress of being handled and given meds may make him more upset than the meds would at this point. It also doesn't sound like a very bad fall. He may have been a little sore this morning, but I think it will pass quickly.

tonyshuman wrote:
I wouldn't give him any meds. I think any pain would have shown up by now. The stress of being handled and given meds may make him more upset than the meds would at this point. It also doesn't sound like a very bad fall. He may have been a little sore this morning, but I think it will pass quickly.

I'm still holding off on administeringMetacam butremain concerned about his increased hay/water consumption by this time of day.Again, this is exactly what he did prior tohis previous pain bout (which I can only guess was causedby his roughhouse play earlier that night).

angieluv wrote:
How's Pink? :expressionless

He's acting normally, so I've not resorted to Metacam.

Now I just need to try to outsmart him in order to prevent future escapes....

That's the tricky part :p

By the way, I'm so glad your holiday went trauma free :)

Latest posts

Back