Possible Head Trauma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fooshee_1

Reaction score
My daughter's pet rabbit, named Tickles, (we have had it for about 2 months) fell from one level of its cage to another level last night (NIC type cage with five levels). The fall was only about 7 inches or so; however, my daughter saidTickles landed onhis/her back. Immediatley after it fell, it hopped around in circles and its head was rapidly moving from side to side.

Ticklesquickly seemed to get better. After a few minutesTickles was hopping normally, although its head still swayed slightly from side to side (no actual head tilt) and its eyes were jumping from back to front.Tickles was eating normally and generally seemed pretty relaxed, even laying down strecthed out.

This morning, Tickles seems even better. No more head swaying or eyes moving back and forth. Tickles seems to be eating okay, although she/he did not seem to care for the pellets this morning, but was eating lots of hay and cilantro.

Tickles is about four months old if that help any.

Finally the question part. Is this something to be concerned about. I researched head tile, but there was not a lot of information concerning these types of symptons caused by an obvious trama. During the whole incident, Tickles never fell over and this morning was standing up on her hind legs with no problem. Thanks for you help.

The trauma caused some neurological symptoms ..head swaying and darting eyes ; if it was my rabbit I would take her to a vet who is really knowledgeable with rabbits for a thorough check up after explaining what happened
It is possible that you will not see any more symptoms and that it ws a temporary response to trauma butI would want to make sure

I too would have a vet do a neurological exam to make sure she has recovered totally from the head trauma she suffered.

And if your bunny has problems with having a multi level cage, I would definitely consider a nice single story hutch.

Latest posts

Back