Please Think Good Thoughts for Emma....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just wonderful that Emma can come home...i'm sure she will be so relieved to be back home with her sister and her mum :)

~Cheryl

LuvaBun wrote:
Yay! So glad she has pooped and is coming home. She will probably recover more quickly with you than at her vet. And I'm sure Zoe won't mind giving up the extra room, if she is getting Emma back :)
In the nine months that I've had my bunnies,I've been through a lot with regards to Zoe's continual disgestive issues. But Emma showed up Zoe with her recent GI-stasis issue. (The vet joked that Emma's was jealous aboutZoe's regular medical "attention"and finally created a reason to wind up in his office. :?)

Emma has pooped a bit since returning home, but her fecals are very small and dark in color. But at least stuff is moving through her. Granted, she'll soon despise me for syringe-feeding her several medicines to help keep things moving along....:? She's eating hay but notnearly as much as normal, which means I must also force Critical Careon her. (She likes it but only wants so muchof it at one time--usually not the minimum of 20 cc's perfeeding, asrecommended by the vet.)

It is good to have her home. Per the vet's written instructions: "Give her lots of hugs and kisses!!" Can do! :biggrin2:

Jenk I'm SO happy that Emma is home!!! :D Understand she still needs a lot of prayer and care but at least she's back home with her family!!!

And as the Vet prescribed I'm sending Emma -:hugsquish:and Kisses!!!

The fact that she pooped is, hopefully, her way back to recovery. Don't worry if her first poops are hard and dry, oralso smaller, it is unavoidable since she was dehydrated and not eating, but they'll gradually return to their normal size and form. Keeping her in one more night is necessary, in order for her to get more hydrated and even have some pain meds (gas is very unconfortable to their tummies). I hope you get a chance to see her.

Marietta

juliew19673,

Thank you for the extra :hugsquish:and kisses; I'll be sure to pass them on to Emma because extra signs of affection never hurt anyone. :biggrin2:

Considering the extra medical attention that Emma received,I've concluded that she really ought be the Bionic Bunny:leaping tall buildings in a single bound and all that jazz. At least, considering the financial cost of her treatment:faint:, I think that she should have at least somebionic parts.

Oh, wow...Can you evenimagine what a 3-lb. bunnycould do with bionic parts? :dunno:huh:huhPersonally, I'm getting some really off-the-wall visuals. :headsmack

Jenk, several of our vets are related to each other and are building a new horse barn on the new site. I ask them how the barn I'm building is going..... LOL!

Our small animal (dog and cat) vet is married to our horse vet who is brother to our horse chiropractor.

Last month:

• $260 dog ear infection, cough and medicines for fleas and heartworm
  • $250 horse shots
  • $200 colicy horse - vet out on a Sunday night
  • $120 chiropractic care for horses
Last year the cat cost about $1200 to the vet.

That doesn't include the farrier..... I've said that one of them needs to become a blacksmith so I can just forward our bank account to them LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Jenk, several of our vets are related to each other and are building a new horse barn on the new site. I ask them how the barn I'm building is going..... LOL!...

Last month:

• $260 dog ear infection, cough and medicines for fleas and heartworm
  • $250 horse shots
  • $200 colicy horse - vet out on a Sunday night
  • $120 chiropractic care for horses
Last year the cat cost about $1200 to the vet.

That doesn't include the farrier..... I've said that one of them needs to become a blacksmith so I can just forward our bank account to them LOL!

Between Zoe, Emma and Simon (our cat, who's having his teeth cleaned this Tuesday), we're at $1,500--within two weeks' time!!! That's not counting Zoe's other (or two other??) vet visits earlier this month. :shock:

I can't bear to think of the vet bills we've incurred for Zoe over the past nine months'. (I know this much: It's a lot.) The girls' vet recently opened a new/ bigger clinic and joked that I'm keeping its roof over his head. (No, really...I am. :?)

My husband's salary (which is pretty good) still doesn't cover everything--not with these abnormally-high vet bills. I need to get another job for us to stay afloat more comfortably. (A base price of $4.15/ gal. for gasisn't helping....:()

In short, we're paying out per month nearly the equivalent ofour mortgage payment.That being the case,we should at least have a second house to show for it. *sigh*

Sorry I missed this update! I'm SO glad that Emma is home and pooping, that's great news, you must be so thrilled! Is Zoe happy to have her back too?

And I can sympathise with you on the vets bills... Chalk's bill is currently at just over £1,000 I think, and doesn't show any signs of stopping just yet! I think that translates into around $2,000... I just THANK GOD that we have insurance, it would have been sooo difficult to pay for it otherwise... We would have found it from somewhere, but it wouldn't have been easy!

Anyway, give Emma lots of hugs and kisses from me! I hope she continues to do well! :hug:

Jen xx

mouse_chalk wrote:
Sorry I missed this update! I'm SO glad that Emma is home and pooping, that's great news, you must be so thrilled! Is Zoe happy to have her back too?
She's pooping but much more slowly now than when she first came home. (I'm thinking that's because she received sub-Q fluids for three days at the vet's and that they're now wearing off. For that reason, my husband and I are syringe-feeding her water, which she hates. (She's had sooo much stuff forced down her throat since last Thursday, the poor girl. :()
And I can sympathise with you on the vets bills... Chalk's bill is currently at just over £1,000 I think, and doesn't show any signs of stopping just yet! I think that translates into around $2,000... I just THANK GOD that we have insurance, it would have been sooo difficult to pay for it otherwise... We would have found it from somewhere, but it wouldn't have been easy!
We don't have pet insurance; I'm ambivalent about it,having readthat it's not really on par with human health insurance;that people may be better off keeping a savings account for vet bills. Still, we've not opened an account solely for vet bills, so we're using savings. It's like you said, the money must come from somewhere....
Anyway, give Emma lots of hugs and kisses from me! I hope she continues to do well! :hug:
Gladly! :biggrin2:

Emma and Iwant to thank everyone for the sound advice and/ or positive thoughts for her recovery. :hug::bunnyheart

She's back to eating herbs/ leafy greens :carrot; has been eating more hay and drinking a bit more water on her own; and, of course, she's pooping (still small, dark fecals). :litterfew:

This morning, she did a half-binky, which speaks volumes. I'm almost ready to exhale the air that I've been holding for days.

Jenk

Yay I'm so glad Emma did a half-binkie!.. As more pet insurance I've had it on 3 cats and recently signed up Baxter!; it has helped with every pet to get some of the money back.. Its only good if you can get it before you pet has a health problems as then they make you wait for 6 months for coverage of any type related to the existing condition; but when I had a cat that came down w/PKD - I probably got back $4500 of the $8000 that was laid out for his care - and the monthly premium for him $8, so it is cost effective.

juliew19673 wrote:
Yay I'm so glad Emma did a half-binkie!.. As more pet insurance I've had it on 3 cats and recently signed up Baxter!; it has helped with every pet to get some of the money back.. Its only good if you can get it before you pet has a health problems as then they make you wait for 6 months for coverage of any type related to the existing condition; but when I had a cat that came down w/PKD - I probably got back $4500 of the $8000 that was laid out for his care - and the monthly premium for him $8, so it is cost effective.
If I may ask, which pet health insurance plan do you have? (I realize that there are several from which to choose.)

Back