please help :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W5Skittles

Reaction score
about 4 weeks ago my bun Flopsy became thin he was eating so i didnt understand took him to the vets where they felt a big ball of feaces that wasnt passing through he got a couple of injections to help move it along, afew dayslater i rushed him back down because he was painfully thin and very lethagic the vet kept him in placed him on a drip and ran afew tests, it turns out hisKidneys and Liverwere failingand the kindest thing was to put him to sleep.

yesturday i noticed Skittle Flopsy and Noodles baby the only one who survived from the litter of 3 as Noodle got ill and stopped producing milk at 3 weeks leaving me to handrear. he has become thin just like Flopsy did although hes eating, i cant get him to a vet until monday but is there a disease/infection that can pass on to other rabbits with these symptoms?

i feel saddened at the thought of loosing all my babies :(

That is very sad :(
There are components in the mother mom's milk that help make the immunes system stronger so the bun can fight illness. It's possible that their immune systems are not up to par.
There is a possibility also of a genetic defect in all the buns
Thirdly Flopsy could have had liver and kidney failure for many reasons . If she had not eaten or drank for awhile before you intervened that in itself can cause organ damge. Buns in Gi stasis with a lot in their stomachs often turn down fluid and fluids

I recently had a bun I rescued from our shelter get acute renal failure. I also Had him PTS as he was dreadfully thin yet eating like a horse; he was also very lethargic

There are some things beyond our control, how ever we don't really know if that is the case with your 2 remaining little ones so try to think positively until you have a vet visit.
Try to make sure that they also are drinking fluids in addition to eating
What re you feeding them ?

Hi! welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you and your bunnies! One thing to look for besides lethargy and not eating is urine and stool output. A bunny should be constantly pooping. If you notice that they stop, a vet visit is in order. Maybe you can catch a problem sooner so that other organ systems aren't damaged so terribly. Also, with the babies you had to hand-rear, try getting some Bene-Bac to promote good intestinal bacteria. Baby bunnies get food from mom, but she also helps them get the right kind of bacteria in her intestines, and your guys are probably missing that due to being hand-reared. You can also give them cecotropes from other bunnies.

Skittles is now 1 year old he (i call him a he but he has girly bits he just produced plums aswell!) so hes a heamo?????? cant remember the name of it! he lives with his mum (both neutered now) so i couldnt really tell if he was producing poos or not :?

anyways took Skittles to the vets today and they found dental problems so this could be why hes thin! so hes down tomorrow to have them done hopefully this will sort it of not then more tests will need to be done to see whats wrong! im hoping Flopsys problems wasnt genetic but then we all know rabbits can hide these things for years!

Ah!! dental problems..I should have thought of that but since my dental patient eats soft food he isn't thin
great that you determined the reason behind the skinny bunny

Latest posts

Back