PLEASE HELP! My Rabbit makes a realy loud noise sometimes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krysk

Reaction score
Hi All,

My bunny makes a really loud noise sometimes. She had a problem with her feet about2 months ago. The vet prescribed anit-biotics for the sores under her feet andthey went away and came back three weeks later. Then we took her back to the vet and used a medicated shampoo which got rid of the sores.

NOW she is breathing really loud off and on. I don't know if she is snoring or in pain. Her eyes are always opened when she makes this sound and her face is stuck to the floor. It kind of sound like a weeping dog.

Any advice is helpful.

Could you describe it a little more? Does it sound like she is having trouble breathing, or as if there's a lot of mucus in there? Or is she squeaking as she breathes? How is she acting- is she as active as normal? Eating/drinking, peeing/pooping?

Hi Naturestee,

She is eating, playingand going to the washroom (peeing/pooing). Her breathing is not mucus or squeaking, a loud weeping noise. She seems normal sometimes, but when she makes that sound she is very still and her head is on the floor of the cage :(

Hi Nela,

I will have to post a video tomorrow. I am not sure how to describe it.

Thank you both for trying to help, i really appreciate it!

Hi Krysk,

House rabbits can live 6 to 10+ years.

Hope its nothing serious with your bun.

xoxo

This behavior sounds so abnormal thatI think that you should take her to a rabbit knowledgeable vet for a check- up and not wait for responses here

I took her yesterday and it is not good news :( she has been sitting in her pee, and has a urinary infection, respitory problems, the sores came back, but now on all four feet, and she is getting skinnier. The vet said it will cost over $2,400 to do some work on her, but she hinted a few times that bun bun is old and their is a good chance all these tests will do me no good. I have a few options, but either way it's a tough decision.

Thanks again for all your support and help.

((((hugs)))) So sorry to hear its not good news.

So more bad news the Humane Society is not accepting animals without an appointment/interview. Due to the holidays...we might have to take her in after the holidays :/

Can anyone recommend healthy treats or things to make her a little comfortable before i take her in :( I will be speaking to the vet today, but i will like some help.

Thanks,

Krysk wrote:
I took her yesterday and it is not good news :( she has been sitting in her pee, and has a urinary infection, respitory problems, the sores came back, but now on all four feet, and she is getting skinnier. The vet said it will cost over $2,400 to do some work on her, but she hinted a few times that bun bun is old and their is a good chance all these tests will do me no good. I have a few options, but either way it's a tough decision.

Thanks again for all your support and help.

Very odd of a vet to quote a price that high without specifically breaking down where all that money would go.:?Sounds like she needs antibiotics and ointment /salve for her feet
I assume that you would take her to the humane society to have her PTS????

if the humane society is no-kill rescue ( probably is not )then she may be treated but if it is not she will be PTS ( put to sleep)

If youcannot have her treated then the humane thing to do is to have your vet put her down soon rather than to allow her to linger in discomfort and pain for several weeks.

Afterthought:

4 yrs is middle aged for a rabbit/ a relatively young rabbit

I would take her to another vet who you are sure is rabbit saavy. Any vet who would tell you the cost of care is $2400 doesn't sound legit to me. Sounds like a vet who just doesn't want to deal with the issues or doesn"t know how

Any vet who believes that 4 yrs is old for a rabbit is not rabbit saavy

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12548&forum_id=9

Hi All,

I spoke to a few other vets, retired and still practising and it looks like the diagnosis is correct :( The Humane Society will be taking her tomorrow as an emergency case. I was told they will not put her to sleep, but will need to do an operation on her feet and run a lot of tests to find out what is internally wrong. She now has swelling on her legs. I really thought it would have been better news ;(

That is wonderful that the Humane Society will do so much for her. :)

Would you let us know the name of the Humane society wheree she will be going ?; it may benefit other members in your area sometime in the future.

I'm glad you were able to get the bunny to people who could help. It's truly selfless to put the needs of the animal first like that. I hope things went well.

Latest posts

Back