Please Help me....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would keep him in with the other litter and just see how he does. So long as he's gotten a bit of colostrum, he can wait until his new momma goes to feed again.
He looks a bit runty, in my opinion. It could be that her previous owners (did you get her from a rabbitry, or a private person?) didn't give her quite the nutrition she needed for best kit development. Or, it being her first litter, it could just be a poorly kit and her next litters may be better.

If he continues to do poor, I'd quietly put him to sleep, personally. I generally give my kits a week to two weeks (if they're really hanging in there). If they don't pick up or show improvement, I put them down with a small quantity of dry ice. Some breeders rather nature take it's course, but I feel it's more stressful to the doe to have a struggling kit slowly die off, then to remove it and put it to sleep.

Good luck with the little guy, I hope he makes it!

I feel bad. I feel like I could have saved him if only I had taken the nestbox out last night and thoroughly checked it before I went to bed. :( I have him in with the other kits right now and I think that is where he will stay, because Kelilah is showing no interest on whether he is gone or not. She is 3.8 pounds and gets 1/2 cup of feed, unlimited hay, greens 2 times a week, fruit 1 time a week, and unlimited hay. So I don't think she was malnutrioned. I just think it could possibly be because it is her first litter. Which, after all the research and talking to people that I have done, I am suprised he was even born alive. I just hope he can turn around and hope there is something I can do for the little guy.

Rachel

Latest posts

Back