please answer my bunny urine ???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossombunny

Reaction score
First off let me start by saying you guys havehelped me so much in the last couple months!! but now I haveanother question. I know that a bunnys urine can very incolor our bunny (who just turned six months) has always had normallooking yellowish cloudy urine, with it occassionally looking morewhite, but today I have noticed that it hasa red tint to itand it actually smells different, sorry to be gross! I am inthe process of changing her food to heinhold to oxbow, but this hasbeen done VERY slowly and we are almost completely on oxbox now, couldthis have something to do with it? could it alsochange the smell of it? I am kind of worried aboutthis. Everything else seems normal, just a different odor andlook to her urine. What makes the urine change inappearance? We just recentlylost our littleparrotlet and could not bare to lose our bunny so i am being extracareful! Thanks for your help! Tracy (and of courseblossom!)

Hi Blossombunny,

The color of a rabbit's urine can range anywhere from yellow to a rustycolor. The diet change can effect can have an effect on the pigments.Weather and medications can effect its color as well.

If you see a bright red in the urine, that could be a sign of blood. Isyour rabbit straining to go to the bathroom? Do you notice her sittingin their bathroom area longer? Is she otherwise okay or not beingherself by drinking more or being lethargic, hunched over, sleepingmore?

If your rabbit is unspayed, you might wish to get a urine test done assoon as possible. Blood in the urine can mean a urinary tractinfection, uterine cancer, sludge, stones, etc.

If your rabbit is acting otherwise normal, it's probably not necessary to dash off to the vets at this point.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

thank you so much for your response.She seems normal to me otherwise, the color is kind of a rusty tinge toit, she just used her litter box and seemed to be in and out ratherquick, I will keep an eye on her tonight and post an update in themorning!

Sometimes, my bunnies urine is very red, thoughit isn't blood, just a red colour, and changes to 'normal'again. As Carolyn said, all kinds of things can cause it, so Ishouldn't worry too much at thisstage - Jan

Latest posts

Back