Pics of the cage we built!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
My husband and I spent three days on this thing.We designed it ourselves. :) The black bars are from Chomper's old cagethat we broke down. We're quite proud of ourselves with this one. Therabbits love it so much, that now they spend more time inside of itinstead of outside, which was the exact reverse before.

Last one. We're making some modifications thisweekend, such as lowering the shelf a bit and getting a bigger litterpan. The rabbits still use it and of course we clean it daily, butstill. Looks so tiny in the corner. :p

It's functional and it looks nice, not somethingyou often find in a cage. You two should be SO proud. You really couldsell them.

We wanted something big enough for two full grownbuns, not that we go away much and they are "house" rabbits, meaningthe cage door is open most of the time. Also, we wanted something niceand weren't finding anything decent in any of the stores, so I said,"Let's build one!" It was a fun project for us.

We were careful to only stain the outside, leaving the inside bare wood(for chewing purposes, of course). Basically as buns can live for along time, we wanteda cage that blended in nicely with therest of our furniture. We keep them in the living room with us.

Amazing! You should be very proud, asshould be your bunnies! If a person is going to have anindoor cage that is certainly doing it in style!

Note the mirror by the cage. Chompers likes tolook at himself and "kiss" his reflection. That's why it's on the floorlike that. Silly bun.

Mocha hates mirrors... or maybe he just hateshimself. ;)He has a bad habbit of attacking mirrors and thecomputer screen if there is a picture of another rabbit. He reallydoesn't like them, just tolerates Spice because their's fencing betweenthem, lol.

Coming from one who alters dog crates andcommercial hutches to my own rabbit specifications, I'd say you guysdid a bang-up job, there! Very elegant.

Wooden frame built to insert in the cage, covered with 1/2" x 1/2"vinyl clad hardware cloth, and suspended above tray would mean buns arenot tracking shavings all about, yet poops would drop through and fallinto tray if need be. Litter box can still be used by placingit on the new "wire" floor.

I build such frames to insert in dog crates, thus converting them intobunny cages. Just hang frame high enough to permit newspaperlined tray to be slid in and out for cleaning. Dogcrates, of all sizes, can be purchased inexpensively at yard/garage/tagsales...and this is the season for that.

Buck

We just modify old wooden garage doors to suit the needs of my rabbits, lol.

Like I said, they spend more time in it than outof it now. As it's so large, it seems easy to keep clean. We do a spotclean daily and full clean weekly. One of those just keep up with itkind of things.

Thanks guys. We're all sorts of excited about it and I know everyone here would appreciate it. :)

Back