Pics of Buster's teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
I held Buster last night and had Hubby take pics of his teeth. They aren't long, but they have these wierd ridges in them, I don't know what from. I thoughtI would post a couple of pics and see if anyone else has seen this before. He is three years old, BTW, and has aparently never had hay to eat.

004.jpg

006.jpg

i was thinking maybe from poor diet from previous home?

Ok, I hadn't realized poor nutrition would do that. It makes total sense, though. Thank Heaven he at least didn't wind up with them severely overgrown, at least.

gentle giants wrote:
Thank Heaven he at least didn't wind up with them severely overgrown, at least.
I second that one they should easily grow out to be beautiful bunny teeth, better then having to have them cut. Let us know what they look like in 8 weeks.

I was reading another thread when it mentioned something that I thought would be really pertinent for you and Buster.

Fran (pinksalamander) had her bunny, Lottie, to the vet for a sore, bulgy eye and during the check the vet said she had a vitamin D deficiency. She mentioned that as Lottie had ridges on her teeth. Here is the thread where it's discussed (it's toward the end and only mentioned briefly):
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=36084&forum_id=16

So, yes, it does seem like Buster's teeth are ridged due to an improper diet in his previous home. And, even better news is that they should grow out into healthy teeth now that he's well cared for (thanks to you)!

Good catch Alexah!

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pics- poor diet. I bet once he's on better pellets and hay his teeth will grow in nicer.

Reminds me of Luna's nails, which I'm pretty sure was also due to poor nutrition. Proper diet and some time should take care of it as healthy new growth comes in.

My Muffin's teeth looked just like that when I first got her. The shelter people and the vet said it was from malnutrition (she had been abandoned w/o food or water, and probably never had hay either) and it seems to be getting better as they grow out. Here's a thread with pics of her teeth, including some decay on the tips of them because they were in such bad shape. The brown stuff has grown out by now, although her teeth aren't quite totally normal yet. Wicker balls to chew on really helped her wear stuff down.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=35191&forum_id=16&highlight=muffin+teeth

Alexah wrote:
I was reading another thread when it mentioned something that I thought would be really pertinent for you and Buster.

Fran (pinksalamander) had her bunny, Lottie, to the vet for a sore, bulgy eye and during the check the vet said she had a vitamin D deficiency. She mentioned that as Lottie had ridges on her teeth. Here is the thread where it's discussed (it's toward the end and only mentioned briefly):
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=36084&forum_id=16

So, yes, it does seem like Buster's teeth are ridged due to an improper diet in his previous home. And, even better news is that they should grow out into healthy teeth now that he's well cared for (thanks to you)!
Thanks for pointing that out, Alexah. That really does sound logical, I know his diet was really bad in his former home, and had been that way most likely for all of his three years on this earth. I will be watching them for improvements, how long should it take before that starts growing out?

i would say at the least, now i am just going on how fast Sooty's teeth grow, 9 weeks but i would figure on longer. I would think that you would need to get a good diet established for a little while for it to effect the teeth?

Yeah, that's true. I kinda broke the "gradual switch" rule in his case, though. When I saw how bad that feed was and the condition he was in, I tossed out all of that crap feed that night and started giving him mine. So he has been on a much better feed and plenty of hay since he got here, and I am gradually introducing different types of greens.

Latest posts

Back