Picky eater

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayuri

Reaction score
Grace has always been a picky eater -- trying to get her to eat anything is a nightmare, her veggies are currently limited to pears and colliflower, the occasional bit of spinich -- she even went off brocoli

Anyway she is on a course mix and she is even a big time selective feeder with that. Some days she will eat all of it but others she will barely touch anything yellow...I dont know why she just seems to hate yellow food.

I have tried constantly to get her on a complete food. We did it with Louis, he will eat ANYTHING, and now we are stuck with 2 bunnies on 2 foods and Graces food is only stocked in 1 store, which is 3 HOURS away by car!

I have tried the adding a TINY bit, she wouldnt touch it
I have tried giving her just a little bit of the new food, she wouldnt touch it.
I have tried being stubbon and not giving her any new food untill she has eaten the food she likes, she doesnt touch it and then PEES IN IT!!!

I dont know what else to do with her, its for her own good but she doesnt seem to get that and thinks I am just being mean and if she doesnt like her food then I should just let her eat crasins untill her pee turns red!

Can anyone please offer any advice on my difficult baby girl?

Hey Alice,

Thanks for posting on your situation. Firstly, could you post exactly what is in her pellets? That would help a ton, as we need to know how high the fiber, protein contents are.

You can lightly spritz the hay if she isn't eating it readily with some apple juice, but if it were me, I'd first dilute the juice with some water, and spritz the hay lightly, on a small amount, as you don't want it to mold, if left over and eaten (thatcan be toxic).

Let's see what other suggestions we get, they should be able to help you out;).

Have you tried going for the simple greens such as green leaf or romaine lettuce. I've found that even the pickiest eaters really enjoy parsley. Other greens that have been popular here are endive, flowering kale, and escarole. Safest bet is to add one new veggie at a time and if it causes soft stools then you can eliminate it.

I haven't had a bun yet who liked spinach, also it is said by the HRS that "it should be used sparingly. High in either oxalates or goitrogens and may be toxic in accumulated quantities over a period of time." I have buns who have liked brocoli. The deal with the brocoli though is that some buns can get gassy from it which is no good.:( Apparently the leaves and stems are tolerated better.

And like AngelnSnuffy said, it would be great if you could post the pellet ingredients here so that we can all have a look-see :privateeyes and hopefully get other suggestions!

Latest posts

Back