people say rabbits smell..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use Equine Fresh (by far the best litter I've tried, and the one my bun liked best), but am now doing just hay and newspaper. No smell, honest! N. seems to like having more hay in the box, for bulldozing, tunneling, etc.

If I notice problems down the road, I'll back to Equine Fresh (less that 8.00 per 40 lb. bag; can't beat the cost!)

equine fresh is just like woodypet and kiln dried like the stove pellets too! they are all the same but for some reason, I like woodypet better and I drive further to get it. In an emergency I'll use Equine Fresh or Yesterday's News.

I was thinking of maybe getting aspen or whatever that is that's safe - since it's shaved....

Also, I have one box in his cage with the plastic on it and he pees in that box. However, I hate it cause it seems to hold pee in the little holes and then he gets it on his feet!

I had to add a litterbox..... now that means THREE now. He was going in his hide area to pee and sitting at the door of his cage to poo..... and peeing in his one box when he was eating hay. :X

now he has 3 boxes and grass mats on the bottom and a nice blankie, a big fleece cover and grass mats under that on the top (which is relatively low actually)...

Spring has shown me an article about fleece wicking urine to the bottom if you use it over the litter too! if that works well - I'll let everyone know. I'm going to definitely try it for him. I have to get some more rugs to use on the wood floor too.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I was thinking of maybe getting aspen or whatever that is that's safe - since it's shaved....
I use aspen shavings over a thick layer of newspaper for Scone MacBunny's litter, and it works great. The urine soaks right through the aspen and is absorbed by the paper, but the layer of aspen keeps the smell in the paper and not in the room. I usually change the litter once a week, just putting a fresh layer of aspen chips on top of the soiled litter and droppings each morning, and there's no odor at all.

Best of all, it's an approprite use for the weekly shoppers they keep putting in my mailbox, and the mixture of aspen chips and bunny poop makes good ground cover for the slope next to the garage!

LOL! Mike has it down!!

I'm another pine stall pellets user, I get a 40 lb bag for less than $8 at the pet store, even cheaper at a feed store.

I only put a thin layer of pellets over a lot of newspaper (like Mike) and dig out and add the 'fines' from my hay bales to flush it out. Then I'll throw in edible hay on one end.

I don't notice asmell and I don't clean that often. :) (Mind you, I've beentold I live in a barn).

The only 'smelly' cage/area is one of George's bunnies and occasionally a foster bunny, both because of excess cecals.

sas :bunnydance:

COOL! Maybe I'll try that way with both so I can see how he does. I love the woodypet (I get it for $4.98 a big bag) but it's hard on his feet I think. I've wondered about taking his and crushing it under a brick or something for now LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
COOL! Maybe I'll try that way with both so I can see how he does. I love the woodypet (I get it for $4.98 a big bag) but it's hard on his feet I think. I've wondered about taking his and crushing it under a brick or something for now LOL!

The pine stall pellets turned to sawdust when wet -- you're actually supposed to wet them down (and drythem when its for rabbits) before putting them in the horse stall -- although you probably know that!

I used to do that, but I stopped because nobunny seemed to care. And they don't spend all that much time in there, they prefer the cat box or spots in front of each others' pens. :grumpy:

Because none of mine are in 'cages' per se and the penned foster bunnies have their own window, I'm not concerned about the pine fumes.

sas :toastingbuns

I thought the whole idea was that when they get wet they suck up the pee and turn to sawdust....... no idea we are supposed to wet them first..... that makes no sense to me! :?

Hmmm I will check the woodypet bag tomorrow.

I don't know if my friends who use the equine fresh for horses do it that way or not. I'll have to ask them! We use shavings we have a semi-truck bring in.

Ya know, the only thing that I've been told that's "smelly" is the hay. Not the buns, bun waste or litter. But the hay lmao.

I highly recommend using Woody Pet litter. We had tried a bunch of other litter types, including carefresh which didn't take care of the odor at all. With the Woody Pet, there is no smell and we don't even have to change the litter as often. It's sometimes hard to find, and I couldn't find a dealer in NJ, so we ordered online direct from the company in Canada. The wood pellets themselves are so cheap for a big bag, like $4. It was the shipping that was expensive- $30...but so far, well worth it as the smell is basically gone, and it seems the pellets will last us awhile before we need to buy more.

I drive about 1/2 hour or so one way to the Rural King where I can get the Woodypet. Unfortunately TSC quit carrying it.

Problem is Tony is a full male, 6 mos old and STINKY! I can't figure out what to do to make him smell better!

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Problem is Tony is a full male, 6 mos old and STINKY! I can't figure out what to do to make him smell better!
Old Spice?:biggrin2:

LOL! brat!

I'm thinking something heavy like that might do the trick LOL!

HI KARATE!

Latest posts

Back