PELLET STORAGE

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
I tried to search for info, and I'm sure there's been some sort of discussion but I cannot find it.... but what can you do to keep pelleted feed fresh?

I was able to get a 50# bag of Oxbow, which saves me considerably over time. The expiration date is not until December so I wonder if I just need to keep it in sealed containers? I have gotten big ziplock baggies to put it in. Should I freeze any of it? would that make it less nutritious?

Thanks for your help.

Put it into a sealed bag then into a freezer, but you need to freeze it as quick as possible. I wouldnt keep it any longer then 3 months like this, but less then three months the nutrients will be fine.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
Put it into a sealed bag then into a freezer, but you need to freeze it as quick as possible. I wouldnt keep it any longer then 3 months like this, but less then three months the nutrients will be fine.

But it's dated for December of 2009?? I would think that it's good regardless but I don't want it to mold......

It's in a paper feed bag - that's how they ship it.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:

But it's dated for December of 2009?? I would think that it's good regardless but I don't want it to mold......

Check with Oxbow customer service.

There may be a difference betweenshelf-life and how long they're good after opening.

Freezing is a good option.
We had a good thread on that a while back.

Freezing oatsies is okay, too....learned that from Buck.:coolness:

Did I get you calling them Oatsies? LOL!

I've emailed them. I sure hope it lasts longer. I wish they had a 25 pound bag.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:

Oooh sorry I missed that bit. If you can use it all before 2010 (The december 09 will probably be "sell by", but usually dry pet food doesnt go "off" like fresh foods) then it should be fine, if not freeze it in october-november and take out as needed. I would leave it in the paper bag as plastic can build up condensation and so on, but if you want to keep it tidier/safe from rodents try a rubber maid bin.

I used to freeze my 10lb bag of pellets when I had 2 refrig's and I remember reading somewhere to use it in 3 months too like Luv-bunniz posted.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:

Oooh sorry I missed that bit. If you can use it all before 2010 (The december 09 will probably be "sell by", but usually dry pet food doesnt go "off" like fresh foods) then it should be fine, if not freeze it in october-november and take out as needed. I would leave it in the paper bag as plastic can build up condensation and so on, but if you want to keep it tidier/safe from rodents try a rubber maid bin.
I imagine it will be gone way before November... We dump some from Clover (she bites them in half and won't eat the other half unless we don't give her more! we cave all the time) and when we clean cages...... etc.

Pam Orr from Oxbow replied to me today about this. She also has 3 bunnies! :biggrin2:

Apparently, I need to use the 50# within the 6 mos. Even if I lose 10 pounds I would still pay less than if I bought those individually. I'll see how it goes and if it looks like I won't end up feeding it - my cousin next door has rabbits.... I'll share with him.

Here's her answer:

BBT a 5# or 10# bag has a two year shelf life(unopened). A 50# bag has a 1 year shelf life(unopened). After opening, all three have a 6 months shelf life. If you freeze any of the above listed sizes, unopened that can provide you with an additional 6 months of shelf life. Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you. Thanks Pam

Bo B did you end of freezing your pellets? I just got a 50 pound bag myself and was wondering if i should just leave them in the paper bag.

Thanks

Susan :)

Latest posts

Back