Pellet Re-introduction and Quantity to Feed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I've re-introduced Oxbow BB/T to my 8-lb. male bun (estimated to be 9-10 months old). I started him with 1 Tbsp. and slowly increased the amount to 4 Tbsp. (1/4 C.) as of yesterday's date.

He seems to be doing okay on this amount (acting/pooping normally), but I'm wondering if he needs more yet, due to his age?

Also, I've been told that I should re-introduce alfalfa-based pellets into his diet (i.e., mix them in with the timothy-based ones, so that he receives some additional nutrients). Does anyone else do this (maybe a 50-50 mixture)? And do you ever mix two different brands? Or is it better to stick with Oxbow, since that's what I'm feeding now?

When I got him (at about five months old), he was on Purina (alfalfa-based) pellets and excreting a lot of calcium deposits; the vet recommended that I start switching him to timothy-based pellets (which may not have been necessary, in hindsight).

Thanks,

Jenk

To be honest, if he is ok on that amount I would go with it. It's far better than pushing it too far and upsetting his stomach and starting again, and what he is eating now is an ok amount. I think it's Randy who says he gives his giant only a tiny amount of pellets and just loads of hay. Really the pellets only give them the vitamins nd minerals they need, so I'm sure that would be fine.

I can't comment on the alfalfa though, none of mine have ever had that.

Flashy wrote:
...If he is ok on that amount I would go with it. It's far better than pushing it too far and upsetting his stomach and starting again, and what he is eating now is an ok amount.
I feel badly that I've bounced around his diet quite a bit in such a short time. I'm starting to suspect, though, that his previous lack of exercise contributed to his excessively loud gut sounds/gas; it seems that his gut is not nearly as loud, now that he's been running around our upstairs area.

I can't comment on the alfalfa though, none of mine have ever had that.
Different people hold different opinions on alfalfa (both pellets and hay), I know; I think that I've read/heard them all. :? My current vet likes to wean rabbits off of alfalfa pellets by six months of age; some people feed them until a bun's one year old; some people feed them (either solely or mixed with timothy-based pellets) for life. Who knows what's right?

I feel badly that my guy got short-changed on pellets for much of the four months' that he's been with me. Part of me feels that adding in a little alfalfa-based pellets (at least for the next two months', or so) is, in a sense, giving back to him what he's gone without for a spell. But I could be totally wrong on that, and it may be best to just stick with timothy-based pellets.

If he's Ok with what he's eating now
I would just leave it this way....
Mine were all on alfalfa for a long time at the shelter and then wouldn't eat timothy pellets. For a long time I mixed Purina green bag alfalfawith kaytee timothy and now (except for Beau who gets critical care and BBT) they get just timothy.
Pinkdoesn't have to go back to alfalfa pellets.

I don't see a need to go back to alfalfa pellets. He'll be fine with the timothy ones as he either is done growing or is close to it. If you wanted to add anything you could give him the occasional treat of alfalfa hay, especially if he seems underweight. No need to buy a separate bag of pellets though.

angieluv wrote:
Pinkdoesn't have to go back to alfalfa pellets.
I know, I know...I should just be happy (or at least content) that he seems to be his jovial self while eating Oxbow BB/T. Take what I can get, right? :)

naturestee wrote:
He'll be fine with the timothy ones as he either is done growing or is close to it.
That's where my guilt complex comes in: He's gone without alfalfa pellets during a major portion of his growth spurt (from about 5-9 months of age). :(

Worse thingshave happened. He's a good size for his breed already so he can't have been too lacking. Like I said, if you want you can give him a little alfalfa hay or blocks. Just keep it far, far away from the megacolon girl.:)

naturestee wrote:
Worse thingshave happened. He's a good size for his breed already so he can't have been too lacking.

You make a valid point about his size. And even after just a few days' on pellets again, his fur/body composition feel better to me. (Could just be psychological, but I can say the say about Emma, who's only getting 1/4 tsp. of pellets at the moment.)
Like I said, if you want you can give him a little alfalfa hay or blocks. Just keep it far, far away from the megacolon girl.:)
The vet suggested the same thing, if I feel the need to give him some extra calories: alfalfa hay, not alfalfa-based pellets.

It's funny that you mention keeping alfalfa hay away from Zoe. I don't disagree with you. (Heck, I still worry whenever I feed her orchard grass and brome.) But what's funny to me is that megacolon buns seem to do well on Kaytee Rainbow Exact (or Exact Rainbow...whatever), and it's alfalfa-based. So, in that case, it almost seems like it's the manufacturing process, not the actual ingredients, that plays a role. Still, I'm slowing re-introducing Oxbow BB/T to Zoe.

naturestee wrote:
I've seen what happens when the tiniest bit of alfalfa or clover ends up in Fey's hay rack. It's not pretty.:?

Is that one of the main reasons that you don't feed her (a megacolon bun) Kaytee's extruded pellets? Just curious.

Again, poor Fey...:(

Just to say that none of mine have ever had alfalfa (like I previously said) and 9 of them were born here, and an additional three grew up here from being weaned babies. All mine are perfectly healthy and living life happily and to the full. They lost nothing by having no alfalfa. In fact, very few of them actually got unlimited pellets, I rationed them for a few reasons.

I think if you were to mess with his diet now you might mess with his gut more. This sounds a good and healthy diet for him and far better than what he had, so don't push it. I would think this is the right thing for him based on everything you say.

Yes, that's a big part of why I'd be scared to try those Kaytee pellets. Time and again I've seen that Fey's issues are related to protein, especially since she can eat any veggie she wants in huge amounts except for fresh clover or pea leaves.

Also, she does do pretty well with Oxbow and I have a lot more respect for that company.

Part of her weight loss issue is that she's a hyper little dwarf bun. She eats a lot of veggies for her size (3+ cups a day, as much as Oberon) but she has a tendancy to binky it off.

Latest posts

Back