Pellet question with bonding - Now bonded and facing the problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone. As most of you know, I was looking into bonding the girls and Bruno once Bruno is neutered. The girls, already spayed, have had a few bonding sessions that have gone alright already, and I'm just waiting to get Bruno neutered before adding him to the mix.

I'm just not sure how it'll be around dinner time. Poppy and Pebbles are around 3.5-4lbs, but Bruno (yet to gethim correctly weighed) is probably around 7-9lbs and still growing! He'll probably reach around 11-12lbs.

The girls both get a small handful of pellets in the morning and evening (I don't measure, but probably 1/3 cup split into two feedings? give or take) I've just read that this is a bit high for their weight, but I've never had a problem with it? Both are at a good weight, even Poppy who has gradually slimmed down over the past few months.

Bruno gets 1 and a half to 2 cups aday which will probably be cut down, but since he's only 6 months old and still growing I'm feeding him that amount. I don't measure, so it's just an estimate.

Now to my question. All of my bunnies have different ways they eat their pellets. Pebbles will sit there and eat until the bowls gone, both at night and in the morning. Poppy will maybe munch on a few and continue to eat them throughout the night and day. Bruno will eat maybe half of them, and then will come back to eat the rest in an hour or so.

All of them love their pellets, but not sure how it's going to work with feeding time because I can guarantee Pebbles will eat until the pellets are gone. Also how much would I give them, or would I have to put it in three different bowls? I don't want Pebbles getting fat and Bruno and especially Poppy going hungry.

They get unlimited hay, and Poppy and Pebbles get a bowlfull of veggies a night. I'm just starting to introduce veggies back into Bruno's diet.

Thanks and sorry for the length.

Leanne, I think I would either just hand out bowls and see what they do or separate them and give them their own bowls. Whichever to start.;)

Good Luck!:D

Wish me luck with a bathrub session towmorrow.:)

Hey Spring! You can give them 3 bowls, but knowing bunnies, they will all go for the same one :).

I think the bunnies will adjust to each other's habits. Also feeding them multiple times a day, and supplementing with hay and veggies should work out fine, I think.

And it doesn't sound like you're feeding too much.

Yeah I think breaking it up into smaller feeding chunks is good to prevent Pebblesfrom being a piggy (sounds like Misty).

My guys adjusted. Charlie knows that he has to eat the pellets as soon as it's put down now or else he won't get any. Misty knows she has to eat her vegetables right away cause Charlie will eat till the plate is empty. It took a while for them to figure it out.

The pellets really is hard cause Bruno will always need more than the girls. Hmm.

Alright thanks! Will have to see if they do bond first and try a few things you've guys suggested. If worse comes to worse, I can just seperate them for an hour or soin the morning and at night. Will work some how! ;)

Poppy and Bruno are now newly bonded :).

I have the problem now. Bruno is a huge pig, and eats his share, then since Poppy is a snacker with her pellets and veggies, eats hers!

So I'm thinking I might have to feed Poppy earlier, and take Bruno out for some t.v. time for an hour or so, so she can have her share. Or feed them their veggies and pellets a bit at a time throughout the day..

I'll figure something out! :D For now.. I'm excited to have a pair!

Have you tried using a feed ball to feed the pellets? That should make it harder for Bruno to eat more than he should.;)With pairs you just have to play around with different arrangements until you find something that works - but feed balls really worked for me.:)Good luck!

Just keep in mind the bond is new and can cause a little bit of a problem when put back. Is there a way to feed them at the same time but for them to stay close? Maybe a gate or something.

Spring wrote:
Poppy and Bruno are now newly bonded :).

I have the problem now. Bruno is a huge pig, and eats his share, then since Poppy is a snacker with her pellets and veggies, eats hers!

So I'm thinking I might have to feed Poppy earlier, and take Bruno out for some t.v. time for an hour or so, so she can have her share. Or feed them their veggies and pellets a bit at a time throughout the day..

I'll figure something out! :D For now.. I'm excited to have a pair!

Latest posts

Back