Pedigree

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
I was justlooking at Mr. WigglesPedigree. But I don't really know it's importance, I know typically youhave to pay more to get it :) Is it only important for shows orbreeding? Also, itlists his ear number, is that the same asan ear tattoo? I have looked in his ears plenty of times and never seenanything, should it be obvious?

Thanks,

Megan

The only time people really use pedigrees arewhen breeding/showing rabbits, so you are right. The tattoo number isthe same thing as the ear tattoo which should be in the left ear. Whenyou look in the ear it should be quiet ovious, unless the breeder did apoor job tattooing. Its not uncommon for a tattoo to fade away whenpeople don't clamp hard enoughwhen tattooing. The breederchould have also given the rabbit a tattoo number but not tattooed itonce they decided it was going for a pet.

Amanda

Thanks! At what age do they usually tattoo? Ididn't acquire him as a pet until he was a year old. He was used forfiber before that. I'm going to look again to see if I can seeANYTHING, if there's something there, I'll have to look hard. Icheckhis ears throughouly, almost everyday.

Thanks,

Megan

Tattoos are usually placed in the ear at weaning(approx. 8 weeks). Some breeders just enter a tattoo numberin the computer program without actually tattooing therabbit. The tattoo would be in the rabbit's left ear (if ithas one).

Pam

I looked, there was nothing there :?Butit doesn't sound like I have to worry that perhaps he was switched withanother rabbit by accident. That happend to us with one of our birds.

Megan

pamnock wrote:
The tattoo would be in the rabbit's leftear (if it has one).

Wow! What an embarrassing sentence :p I know the rabbit has aleft ear -- I meant the tattoo, if the rabbit had one, would be in theleft ear LOL

Pam

LOL I didn't catch that until you said something.That is hilarious! Fortunately for Mr. Wiggles he does have both hisleft and his right ear :DI word sentences like that all thetime... for me it's more about being absent minded :)

Megan

Reminds me of the time, on another rabbit forum,thatI first read of rabbits having several "legs."I thought the posters were absolutely crazy until I finally understoodthey were talking about "wins" in show competitions.

Fortunately, unlike most similar situations for me, I had not openedmouth and inserted foot! I kept my silence, figurativelyspeaking,until I was able to understand, by virtue ofcontext, what in the world these women were writing about when theysaid their rabbits had three and five "legs."

My embarrassment was my own secret then, and now. has become ours. LOL

Buck

Back