Pedigree Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
When you're writing pedigrees, for instance on my scenario, I bought a rabbit from a breeder named Leon Kilander. On her pedigree, it says "Kilander's DL65." I also bought a buck from my 4-H leader, Bill Hunter, and that would be "Hunter's Z2."Now, I've bred the doea few times with Z2, but when I'm writing out my own pedigrees, should I still call the sire and dam "Kilander's DL65" and "Hunter's Z2?" Or should I call themmine? (Harris's DL65 and Harris's Z2 since they belong to me now?)And the one that was kindledby DL65 "Harris's TH01" (because my last name is Harris.) Do youkeep the rabbit with the last name of the owner that it waskindled by?

One of my friends, Justin Louckalso bought adoe off of Leon Kilander, and I was making some plans to breed mybuck to it (one that was born at my house). Now, the kits will probably be born atJustin's house, so will they be called, "Louck's ___?" Or "Harris's ___" since i'm keeping one of them?

I know this is probably very ill-explained, so ask me if you need me to explain itbetter...

Thanks!

As far as I'm aware, the prefix in front of the rabbits name is normally the rabbitry's name or initials. For instance, I got Zoey from Star Lit Rabbitry so her full name is SLR's Zoey. Although I'm sure some just use their last name.

I'm pretty sure you keep the original breeders prefix on the rabbits you bought. That prefix tells you were the rabbit was born and bred, it's not to show who owns the rabbit.

Okay, but if my rabbit, Harris's 3406, is bred to my friend's rabbit, Kilander's (something), and the kits are born at my friend's house, and I'm writing the pedigrees, should I call them by my friend's last name, or my last name? I'm also keeping one of them, so does that make a difference?

Yes, as MyBabyBunnies noted, the name of the breeder stays with the rabbit they bred -- that info cannot be changed.

I would talk to your friend to reach an agreement on how you want to name the kits because there are not particular rules on co-breeding and who's name goes on the rabbit.

I think the owner of the doe whose barn the kits are born in should be the name that goes on the kits if they are keeping the kits. If the litter will be split, some prefer to put both names on the kits or you could put each person's namewith the kit they are keeping.

Pam

The dam and the sire were not born at your place, you did not do the initial breeding of them you just purchased them and cared for them up till nowtherefore, it is not right for you to say those are your rabbits on the pedigree, the original breeder should get the credit for the breeding. I will ask the breeders if I can add the call name of the rabbit, for instance I own a rabbit whose name on the pedigree is Hall's 2DOC31. I got permission to on the pedigrees of her offpring write Hall's 2DOC31Athena. Credit still goes to the breeder, I just added her call name that I gave her. The resultingkits however, can be called whatever you want to call them because you did the breeding. As for your friend he can name the kits whatever he wants but thename of the sire needs to remain the same. Credit needs to go where Credit is do regardless of who owns it.

Look at it this way, Say that the parents carry a Maloclussion Gene and the resulting kits have Malocclussion. The new owners will see that the Malloclussion came from that breeders line they get blamed for it. Or say you buy a rabbit from really good lines, and someone is sort of interested in buying one of the kits and when they see who the lines are from they decide they have to have one now because it came from those lines.

There was recently a discussion about this on the lionhead breeders' list that I'm on. Lionheads are a fairly new breed and we were discussing etiquette, etc. for newer breeders.

Most of the experienced breeders I heard from stated that if they sell a bred doe to someone (they did the breeding for the purchaser) that they did not have a problem if the new owner/breeder claimed the litter as their own. For example, if I bought Cimmaron Romance who was bred to Cimmaron Recharged....Cimmaron would prefer for ME to use my rabbitry name for that litter.

The reasoning (from Cimmaron and some other breeders) was this. Some breeders cull their litters very heavily (I'm not going to get into that on here....let's just say that they go through the litter in the first days after birth). So Cimmaron (who is one of the certificate holders for lionheads and can only try and raise the very very best quality) can only sell a certain type of rabbit. Let's face it - in a litter you won't always get all showable rabbits.

So - if I bought those rabbits from Cimmaron - odds are good that I'm going to keep some rabbits that Cimmaron would have culled and would not want their name on...

That is why Cimmaron (in particular) stated that they wish the new owners would keep their names on the rabbits from the litter.

I use Cimmaron as an example as they are one of the most "well-known" breeders for lionheads - but several other breeders stated that also.

I think it is important therefore to talk to the people who did the breedings for you - to see what their preference is.

Peg

P.S. I do own Cimmaron Romance and Cimmaron Recharged...and they do keep the "Cimmaron" part of their name even though they are in my rabbitry now....( I thought I'd point that out just for newbies).

Okay. So if you're doing co-breeding, me and my friend can reach an agreement about who gets the name on the pedigree. Well, we'll probably split it. I know he wants to keep one, and I want to keep one, and the rest will probably be sold as breeding stock. So here's how it will probably go: The one that he keeps can be pedigreed with his last name, the one that I keep can be pedigreed with my last name, and all of the breeding stock will probably go with his last name. Sound good?

Thanks everybody!

Latest posts

Back