Pedialyte - for my first aid kit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fluffies

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm preparing my bunny first aid kit. We're living in Penang, Malaysia. Here, it is not easy to get some items for our bunny first aid kit such as Simethicone, Benebac and Pedialyte.

I'm just so lucky. My friend is coming back from UK and he is helping me get some items for my bunny first aid kit. They have simethicone under Infacol brand. And as for Pedialyte, should i get the powder or the liquid form? I think powder is more suitable to keep in case i need them for emergency. What do u guys think?

If i get the powder form, what is the correct mixture/dilution for bunnies?

Does every flavor is safe for bunnies?

Thanks! ;)

-nerq-

I did not know pedialyte came in powdered form soI just looked it up and yes :)you are right. I think that powdered would be easiest and best for you

Ido not know the correct dilution butI would not worry about that now as we can figure it out once you have it.

Some people say to get unflavored pedialyte butI think it is artificially sweetened (not sure) ...I always use flavors with my rabbits as it is way easier to get them to take it

my rabbits like cherry and orange but all flavors are fine if the rabbit likes it

Maureen, do you serve the pedialyte (liquid form) as-is to your buns or do you water it down for the buns? I'm just curious because when I opened up a bottle of apple flavored pedialyte, it was *so tasty* (to me, anyway) that I instinctively watered it down a little as I wasn't sure about the flavor factor for bunnies. Is it necessary to extra dilute the liquid form?

I recommend the unflavored pedialyte because then you can add whatever flavor your bunnies like. Mine love grenadine. All pedialyte is artificially sweetened but that is ok because it gets them to drink it without causing problems with GI bacteria (as natural sugar would).

kirbyultra wrote:
Maureen, do you serve the pedialyte (liquid form) as-is to your buns or do you water it down for the buns? I'm just curious because when I opened up a bottle of apple flavored pedialyte, it was *so tasty* (to me, anyway) that I instinctively watered it down a little as I wasn't sure about the flavor factor for bunnies. Is it necessary to extra dilute the liquid form?

I have never diluted it and I believe that I did taste it once and I did not have the same reaction as you ; I remember that it tasted salty

Ihave never heard that it should be diluted ,however, I have diluted pineapple juice with pedialyte because I think that fresh pineapple juice is very sugary tasting.

I don't think that you have to worry about giving it "straght up"

I didn't know that all pedilayte was articially sweetened but after Claire mentioned it I did look into it.

The reason that it is NOT flavored with regular sugar is because regular sugar could be disruptive to the stomach of a sick child so they use other "sugars" to decrease any potential for more GI upset.
I have given a lot of pedilayte that was flavored to my rabbits so despite the recommedations for unflavored I feel very comfortable continuing as I have been doing only because my rabbits have never had problems with flavors.

http://pedialyte.com/faq.aspx

The artificial sugars are much better than normal sugars, like Maureen said, in bunnies too. I know that MikeScone had a lot of good luck with getting Scone to drink lots during stasis or gas by giving him diet cream soda. As long as it's not xylitol, which can cause hyperglycemia, artificial sugars are fine (in moderation of course).

Latest posts

Back