painting babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Got tired of trying to tell nine orange squirmybundles apart. I painted numbers on the backsides of their ears! hehehe(food coloring) That was a trick. They kept squiggling.

Baby 6 and baby 8 are runts. Baby 6 is the insane dark redhead and baby8 is the strawberry blonde. Both are rather pushy! They were shoving myhand in unison, all the way across the table--no idea why! Then bothstarted licking me.Big ears, big feet, little faces, scrawnybodies, and big round full bellies. Yeah, they look pretty weird. hehe;)

Baby 4 is massive and placid. I'm betting it's male, but it's far tooearly to tell. I used to be good at guessing from the shape of the headwith Holland lops, so I'm amusing myself by betting on the sex whilethey're young. Palominos are a lot harder! It's just a game.

Mom likes baby 7, says it's so cute when it falls asleep in her hand. A light pretty blonde, medium size.

One baby was crashed out on top of the pile with back legs splayed and head buried. cute cute cute.....

I love being able to tell them apart! Before, the runts and the big fellow were the only ones distinguishable.

Rose

LOL :D -- That reminded me ofan Ohio law (statute 505.12) that states: "No person shall dye orotherwise color any rabbit or baby poultry, including, but not limitedto, chicks and ducklings. No person shall sell, offer forsale, expose for sale, raffle or give away any rabbit or poultry whichhas been dyed or otherwise colored."

Pam

When my granddaughter stayed with me for anextended period of time.....She used to draw eyebrows on the faces witha marker. It didn't hurt the rabbit and was kinda cute.

I remember when my daughter was little, she took some makeup and a compact out to the barn and put lipstick on the pony :)

Pam

It was my lipstick and it made a big mess. Oh -- the compact was so the pony could look at himself in the mirror LOL

Pam

TOO funny! hehehe

Mom said I was weird--came in to see what I was painting.....lolololol

Hey, someone mentioned markers--would it be safe to do it withpermanent marker instead of food coloring, so I don't have to do it asoften?

Rose

Rose, you are having way to much fun with allthose little buns! lol I wish we were all close enough tocome over and share the fun of your little ones. :DI guess we will just have to be happy learning about them through yourwords and eyes. keep up the enjoyable posts. Welove hearing about them! Beckie

That's what we were using...permanentmarker. Even that doesn't stay on for a real longtime. Those little buns wiggle all around and wear ir off ina hurry. When I was marking to remember to keep this one orthat one, I marked on the inside of the ear. Then Mama didn'tlick it off.

I have a painting story:

This past Easter, my little sister and I were colringeggs. My bunny Pip hopped up on the table to see what we weredoing. He then proceeded to sniff at the food coloring eggdye. He twitched (or sneezed) and splattered the dye all overhis head. Pip really got into the Easter spirit!!He had pink splatters all over his white fur -- it was precious.

Dolores Lindvall wrote:
That's what we were using...permanent marker. Eventhat doesn't stay on for a real long time. Those little bunswiggle all around and wear ir off in a hurry. When I wasmarking to remember to keep this one or that one, I marked on theinside of the ear. Then Mama didn't lick it off.
Could you make them little colars, each with a differentcolor? I didn't know if their mom would take them off, or ifthey would nibble them off themselves...I thought I'd add my thoughtthough ;) Have fun with the little ones!

-Carrie

I don't know if mama would remove the collars,but, personally, I wouldn't do that. It would seem tome that they could get hung up on each other moving around.

Could you make them little colars, each with a differentcolor? I didn't know if their mom would take them off, or ifthey would nibble them off themselves...I thought I'd add my thoughtthough ;) Have fun with the little ones!

-Carrie

The mother would chew the collars right off, possibly injuring the babyin the process. Little feet can also get caught in thecollars, and I've see a rabbit get his lower jaw stuck on one when hetried to chew it off.

Breeders sometimes mark babies with a tiny tattoo dot in the rightearor by using a needle and running a small pieceofthread through the ear. As the babies grow,thethread can be removed and the tiny hole heals over.

Pam

Latest posts

Back