Paint-strip snack-attack...How concerned should I be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
How worried should I be thatEmma ate a thin, 1.5" strip of paint? And is there anything that I might do for herto speed it through her system(e.g., give herextra oral fluids, etc.)?

We're in the middle of a neverending remodeling project. While I was shadowing Zoe like a hawk ('cause she eats everything), Emma got the paint:thelittle strip that'sleft on the wall once a baseboard is removed;now I'm panicked.

And to think that Zoe's gut is finally showing early signs of recalibration from the latest enteritis bout...*sigh*

I think I'm going to have a heart attack right about...now. :(

Jenk

I think that you mean the old paint right?

I don't think it will hurt her at all ; I have had buns who ate paint off the walls when I was unaware and they were fine .:)

I think it won't hurt her at all

angieluv wrote:
I think that you mean the old paint right?
Yes, and no (as usual). ;) The uppermost layers are about six years old now (i.e., are lead-free). But I can't say if the lowest layers are such, as our home is 34 years old. It technically could contain lead-based paint, since 1975 was a gray area when it began to be banned and whatnot.
I don't think it will hurt her at all ; I have had buns who ate paint off the walls when I was unaware and they were fine .:)

I think it won't hurt her at all
I called the vet this morning to update her on Zoe'spositive progress (in terms of output) and also asked about Emma's latest "snack." She advisedme to do what I'm already doing: carefully watchthe urine/fecal output andoverall demeanor. She, too, doesn't anticipate anyproblems stemming from it.

When I had a freeroam bun in Chicago in an apt she ate just about everything that she shouldn't have and never had any issues (including paint)
I had the barest minimal knowledge of rabbits and yet she lived to be old

(That's the one that died when being kept over night at Midwest :grumpy:)

Ithink your vet is rightbut.........

I won't say keep an eye on her because you already do :)

angieluv wrote:
When I had a freeroam bun in Chicago in an apt she ate just about everything that she shouldn't have and never had any issues (including paint)
It amazes me that some buns can be that way. Actually, our big boy has eaten no-no items and shown no issues as a result; so I've bona-fide proof that it can happen. And then there's Zoe, who gorges on plastic and suffers several digestive issues as a result. *sigh*

I remember that story and amstill very sorry that you lost her that way. :( She holds no grudges, I know. But I can understand the guilt/hurt from the human perspective (and the anger/mistrust thatyou gained for that clinic).

Ithink your vet is rightbut.........

I won't say keep an eye on her because you already do :)
Ain't that the truth....LOL

angieluv wrote:

I

Tony did this too.

What is Midwest? I would like to know as it sounds like a place to avoid...

I always push hay when my bunnies eat something "toxic" like tomato plants and chocolate. Tony really likes to get into things he's not supposed to! Hay is a good system scrubber!

tonyshuman wrote:
What is Midwest? I would like to know as it sounds like a place to avoid...
It's an exotics-only vet hospital in the Chicago area.
I always push hay when my bunnies eat something "toxic" like tomato plants and chocolate. Tony really likes to get into things he's not supposed to! Hay is a good system scrubber!
Thankfully, both of my girls are pretty good about eating hay, which is absolutely pivotal in terms of Zoe's gut function (which is sketchy at times). They seem to love the Sweet Meadow timothy hay (we're on our second order of it), so there's little incentive to "push" the hay; they scarf it just fine. ;)

Midwest Exotics? I liked them, except for their prices!

Glad hay consumption is a non-issue!

tonyshuman wrote:
Midwest Exotics? I liked them, except for their prices!
I can't comment on them from the vantage point that I've not taken any animals there; but I've heard both pros and cons about them. (I do know that they've taken at least one very long-time client to the cleaners, which I think really stinks. She's still paying vet bills for bunnies who've been deceased for several years' now!)

Glad hay consumption is a non-issue!
Youand me both! For all the other troubles that bunnies seem to put me through, I can at least be thankful for their love of hay (and water--all three are big water drinkers).

lead was supposed to be removed from house paints in the 1960,s,..it sounds like a piece of laytex got eaten,.should not be a problem,.however encourage fiber and water intake,..sincerely james waller

Well, I used to live in Chicago-land and Tony's first vet appointment was there. I moved here a few years ago.

tonyshuman wrote:
Well, I used to live in Chicago-land and Tony's first vet appointment was there. I moved here a few years ago.

LOL I lived in Chicagoland until I moved here in 2003 ;
Ihad problemswith Midwest but there were a few good vets , The one I liked got married and moved out west somewhere at the same time I moved here.

We are Illinois transplants :)

Latest posts

Back