Over stuffed bellies on kits ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimchilla

Reaction score
We have two litters right now, one doe with 3 kits and one doe who had 16 kits but lost 4 and has 12 remaining. I just found them, they're maybe a week old.
The doe with the large litter is a first time mom and is ALWAYS in there feeding them. Looking them over today I noticed most of them have seriously over stuffed pot bellies. Can the does over feed them? Or is it more likely that she isn't helping them pee? A couple that we lost were large, healthy kits and had large bellies.
Would you, in your experience, give the doe with less kits a few of these kits or leave them at 3 in one nest and 12 in the other?

Yes, it could be either overfeeding or mom not stimulating. Though if she's always in with them, I would lean more to overfeeding. Is it the mom with 12 that's overfeeding or the mom with 3, or both?

The mom with 12 is over feeding. Shes in there often, in there if I go look in there... but I wondered if it was because she had 12 they were not being stimulated maybe?

You could try stimulating to pee and see if that makes a difference. If not, maybe try removing the nesting box during part of the day so she doesn't feed them as often. I wouldn't remove any kits from the litter, as she is obviously producing enough milk. And moving kits to the other doe will just mean more milk for the remaining kits and there could be issues with the other doe accepting the kits.

Latest posts

Back