Over due?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybug15

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I have a chinchilacolored mini rex and she is right about five months old. Webred her and she was due on Manday the 6th. Well, she juststarted pulling today! Should I be worried or can rabbits beoverdue just like humans? I'm pretty sure she's gonna havethem tonight. She's acting like that. What should Ilook for, as far as them being late and all. What to do, whatto do! Help ASAP would be greatly appreciated by my mom andme. Thank you all, you guys are the best!

-Jay

My doe went late on one litter, actually really late, and mom and babies were just fine.

She's awfully young for a mother, though....hope all goes well!

Rose

Hi Jay,

The Gestation period can go up to 35 days.

"The longer gestation periods are generally seen when there are only afew young in the litter. These young are usually heavier at birth thanthose from larger litters that are carried for a shorter period oftime." (Rabbit Production 8th Edition.)

If she goes past that, a vet can give the doe a shot to induce her. Be sure you take her to a rabbit saavy vet.

Be sure that she doesn't have her litter on the wire and if she does,pick them up and put the babies in the nestbox. She won't abandon thembecause of your smell, but she will if they're born on the wire. Beingher first pregnancy some don't do a great job in making her nest. Youalso have to be careful of cannibalism and neglect. If she neglects thelitter, you'll need to jump in and help the babies to be sure they'refed. Check the litter at least once daily to be sure none have passedaway and to see if they all have nice round, fat, bellies in themorning to ensure she's feeding them.

-Carolyn

thank you Carolyn...Actually, she made an exelentnest...I was very impressed...She seems to be doing ok...Eating alot..We are definately expecting tomorrow...OOOOOOOOOO I am soexcited!...She is my baby and i hope she will do very well...Talk toyou all later!

Hi Jay,

Aww, sounds like she's getting ready. Quite a few births happen whenwe're still sleeping. Not all, of course, so don't mark my words onthat, but be sure you check on them when you first wake up.

Hopefully today's the day! Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
The Gestation period can go up to 35 days.

"The longer gestation periods are generally seen when there are only afew young in the litter. These young are usually heavier at birth thanthose from larger litters that are carried for a shorter period oftime." (Rabbit Production 8th Edition.)

Ha! so what happened to Tank? ;)

Nine tiny babies, way overdue!

hehehe

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
Carolyn wrote:
"The longergestation periods are generally seen when there are only a few young inthe litter. These young are usually heavier at birth than those fromlarger litters that are carried for a shorter period of time." (RabbitProduction 8th Edition.)

Ha! so what happened to Tank? ;)

Nine tiny babies, way overdue!

hehehe

Rose

Aww, Tank. She was like no other. There's an exception to every rule, ey?

Do you know how Tank's doing?

-Carolyn

Nope. Part of me's afraid to ask, you know....itwas hard to send her back. He got two of our babies too, big bucks, andI'm wondering if they are doing ok too.

Last I heard, she was ok and not pregnant again yet. So at least they gave her a break.

Rose

Ok, I decided to call and find out...

Tank and two babies (bub's brothers) are doing fine. Apparently she liked it at my house better, but she's ok.

Whew....the breeder had a lot of fatalities out of the first litter(the surprise 4 babies), so I was not sure if the boys would make it.But they did!

Rose

That's great, rabbitgirl! Good for you for calling.

YayTank!! Not surprised she liked your place better.

Wish she could come back to you. No chance of that at all???

-Carolyn

Back