Outside Grass?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larr0612

Reaction score
My husband just built this huge...play pen I guess you could call it? Well, the bunnys dont really do much in there, but eat the grass. Now, the grass is not treated with anything...so is it okay if they eat it? There are also those weeds like kinda look like dandylions (wait...arnt dandylions weeds??) I have not seen them eat them..but what if they do? Any advice? Should I put a sheet down so they cant eat the grass? Thanks!!

Are they not used to eating grass? My bunnies eat the grass on the lawn every day and they are fine. I have always let bunnies munch on the lawn.

NZminilops wrote:
Are they not used to eating grass? My bunnies eat the grass on the lawn every day and they are fine. I have always let bunnies munch on the lawn.

Well, we just got the outside playpen set up about a week ago..so they have eaten it a few times.

I suppose its okay then?

Do you own the ground they are on, so you know of its actual care? How does the run-off in your area flow? If theres a possibility of pesticides running from one property to another I'd be careful.

A friend of mine called me last week in a panic - she let her guinea pigs out in the grass at her apartment and it wasn't until a few hours they got sick - by the end of the night she had lost all 9. It turned out the grass had been "treated" the day before without her knowledge.

Its my grandmas house so we own the ground. The water flow doesnt come down to our lawn..so other then that I think im good then right?

Leaf wrote:
Do you own the ground they are on, so you know of its actual care? How does the run-off in your area flow? If theres a possibility of pesticides running from one property to another I'd be careful.

A friend of mine called me last week in a panic - she let her guinea pigs out in the grass at her apartment and it wasn't until a few hours they got sick - by the end of the night she had lost all 9. It turned out the grass had been "treated" the day before without her knowledge.

First off, Leaf, that is so sad about the gp's! Please give your friend my condolences.:(

Secondly, I have an outdoor pen, we own our property and we don't treat it anymore. Also, the set up I have, critters cannot get in as the bottom half the spaces are too small.

But, it is good for them to eat grass if it's untreated, it's like hay, only not "dried";).

Latest posts

Back