Outdoor housing hosting unwanted wildlife? (in Australia)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy_lop

Reaction score
Bun is about to spend his first summer partially in his new hutch in the garden.
For all of you bunny owners in Australia, have you ever had problems with Eastern Browns or other unwanted 'guests' taking up residence in your hutch?
I am a bit concerned, not just for bunny, snakes are a serious safety issue and they're on the move now that the weather is warming.

Make sure the wire is small enough so that snakes can’t get through! Also, if you have raccoons or other cleaver animals around, lock the cage doors! They can easily open latches.

No racoons! Only kangaroos and snakes. Wire is small, but I think if they try hard enough, they could squeeze in underneath. Bunny won't be sleeping outside, but just spending a few hours outside each day.

No racoons! Only kangaroos and snakes. Wire is small, but I think if they try hard enough, they could squeeze in underneath. Bunny won't be sleeping outside, but just spending a few hours outside each day.
Hey there!! Fellow Australian here!

We have aviary wire on our runs, and have had no trouble with snakes. Our run though, I will say, was sitting on a base buried in the ground.

We have had no trouble (touch wood) with snakes though, and I have definitely seen them around through summer!

Thanks. Our hutch sits on top of the ground and is moveable. It's also a bit rickety. I think I will just wear boots and jeans and do a 'snake-check' every morning before bun goes in. There seem to be a lot of snakes around after the mouse plague...:-(

Latest posts

Back