Our First Show...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarGlider

Reaction score
Ok well, I'm not even sure that this is going to belong in rabbitry but I'll put it here anyway. If it needs moved please do so.

It was a double show and my kids won best of variety and best opposite variety in both shows with their dutch torts. They were the only two torts in the youth show so it was kind of just one of those things. They were happy with it though.

When I took Livingston up he got DQ'd for having white stuff in his nose. The judge looked in his nose then handed him back tome. It was a horrible moment... but not because he was DQ'd but because it was that moment that I realized I'd made a horrible mistake.

Let me background this by saying that my breeder is legally blind. The day I picked up Livingston he had a runny nose after he'd run around a bit. She looked at him from a few feet a ay and said that that happens to flemmies when they get excited. From right beside him I saw the white stuff in his nose but from a few feet away she didn't.

So then was born my illusion that white stuff in his nose is*normal*. He has had the same thing on and off the whole time I've had him. It was never bad, just some white up in his nostrils here and there. I just didn't know.

This is hard for me to write because I feel like the worst bunny mom ever. I love Livingston so much and I'm just sick that he's been sick for two weeks and I didn't know. I should have pointed out what I was seeing on him better to the breeder and not just assumed she saw what I did. It was just all a horrible horrible miss understanding.

I've started him on antibiotics in his water and I called and left my vet a message. I'm greatful that I took him today so at least now I know he needs help.

I just wanted to share my story. I'll keep you all updated on how he's doing.

:shock:Must see pics of the Dutch torts! -pretty please!-

Sorry to hear about your Flemmie. :(I'm sure it wasn't too too bad, and your not a bad bunny mom. A bad bunny mom would have said the judge was lying and the bunny was perfectly healthy. You didn't know any better and its not your fault.

Wow, Im so sorry to hear about Livingston.

Has he been in contact with the other two? If so, they will probably need to be treated as well. I would just be sure to wash your hands and be very careful in between handling them, just in case it is a bad pasturella infection or something.

Please keep us posted and I'll be keeping the little one (er...big one ;)) in my prayers.:pray:

-Haley

PS..congrats to the dutchies!:dutch:party: :rabbithop

Sorry to hear aboutLivingston:( Was I the one who judged Flemish? (Can't remember if it was yesterday or last weekend that I judged the Flemish LOL). I try not to make a big embarrassing deal about snuffles at the table, but the other exhibitors appreciate if I get them off the table as quickly as possible, and not keep them around for comments. I always show the writer to confirm the DQ. (So someone doesn't wipe the nose off later and accuse me of seeing things).

I had wanted to get to meet you at the show -- things were so busy all day that the day just flew by! I also had a specialty showto judge after the regular double show (Creme D'Argents), so it was a long day for me (have had a cold and have been run down all week).

Very glad to hearthat yourkids had a good time! My son Matthew (7), was also there. He had a blast showing (he doesn't get to show much). He won BOB open with his Dwarf Hotot, won the jr. doe New Zealand youth class, and also did pretty well with his Hares in the open class. Matthew was the kid who had his baby Hares running all over my show table before the show started :)

Are you going to Jefferson or Painesville?

Pam

You were the judge Pam. I was told you might be so I didn't introduce myself to you before the show then after he got DQ'd I left. I'm sure there will be another to meet at :) I'm not sure yet what shows I'll be taking him to.

It wasn't a problem he got DQ'd it was more me realizing he had something WRONG with him I was totally freaked out. He's my baby! I'm absolutely madly in love with that bunny :)

I'll be judging at the Painesville, Jefferson,Doverand Medina shows.Painesville, Doverand Jefferson should be a little more laid back - Medina is usually a madhouse due to all the specialty shows as well as the large number of entries. Hope my cold is better by then :(

I had to stay later at Portage (I was the judge for the Creme D'Argent specialty show), so we wouldn't have had a chance to talk after wards.

I wouldn't take Livingston to any more shows. The stress will more likely make illness flare up, and it also puts the other rabbits at risk for any pathogens he may be carrying. He's a beautiful rabbit, but this may very well be a chronic illness that will keep him off the show table.

Pam

Latest posts

Back