OT: Hate to make another OT thread..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunsforlife

Reaction score
I know there are a few of you out there...

while I am waiting for my new health plan to kick in (or rather myapproval to go through since until I get the one through my new jobkicks in I am getting my own plan) I am wondering if anyone has someadvice

Stress has lately been seriously affecting my athsma. Doctold me to keep using my servent and bronchodilater. Howeverfor the past week I havent had a full night of sleep. I havebeen waking up wheezing and coughing, tonight was so bad Shawn got upto make sure I was alright in the bathroom.

Been trying very hard to stay on top of my symptoms.

Taking cough medicine to help loosen the mucous in my lungs, muscle rubon my chest and back to try and keep airways relaxed, keeping myalbuterol under my pillow and the homopathic... drinking a cup ofstrong black coffee when I have wheezing (unfortunatly I HATE coffeewithout tons of sugar/milk not to mention it keeps me up) and keepingon top of my allergy meds (never had a reaction to animal fur and havebeen tested, but just in case)

I have recently purchased some essential oils which I know will helpopen airways when placed in hot water and the steam inhaled, justwaiting for them to arrive (you have NO idea how hard white thyme is tofind in an essential oil)

I know the weather here hasnt been helping... in fact Tuesday I couldnt leave the house thanks to the heat and humidity.

I have a 'throne' of pillows on the bed to try and keep me as verticalas possible while sleeping, and we have an ionic breeze in thebedroom.

This lack of sleep is seriously getting to me... and until theapplication is approved all I have is short term health insurance andthat wont cover my athsma

White thyme? Try pure peppermintoil. Put a drop or two in a pot of boiling water.Mmmm, the ability to breathe! Always clears me right up, andI have nasty seasonal allergies. Use more for near-painfulfun.:p Glorious!

Is your home air-conditioned? If so, check thefilters. If you haven't replaced them in a year, then do itnow. I don't have athsma but one of my friends/formerroomates did. She was not really allergic to anything butdust really increased the amount of attacks she would have.Lots of vacuuming helps, too.

Hi Hon , sosorry asthma,, stress and humidityjust doesnt all go very well together ,

Call your Doctor and ask to beput on Theophylline 200 mg, they are a 12 hr horse pill, Right now your body isntproducing The Theophlline it needsand the body ddoes need it , Imsure if he was to do a PeakFlow you will be way atthe bottom where you dont wantto be, also have him checkyour Theophllin level in your blood , Iam willing to bet its underwhats necessary for normalLung function .

The Medication is rather inexpensive, right around 22.00 per 60tablets , and DO NOT let them tellyou they dont make such a thing any more, they certainly do , I have a12 mont prescription for it .

Asthma Sux big time and heat ,humidity and stress all workagainst your body and take out thisnecessary chemical ( I think ) from yourbody . This is going to soundoff the wall but since theAsthma flaired up Haveyou lost any weight ?

please keep check on it notbeing able to breathe right dueto asthma and stress will makeyou lose weight dangerouslyfast . as your body burns off morecalories trying to breathe thanyou can takein in one day.Lackof sleep willl also contribute to theweight loss . Please be carefull , haveyour levels checked soon , Please.

My airconditioner is new so the filters are fine (that and Shawn cleans them regularly)

I was going to go do a peak flow, but wouldnt you know it, cant find the meter for my life.

My big problem is... I usually, when I am healthy, am in the 500s onthe peak flow. When I am having episodes, usually in the 300swhich is still the green level on my meter. Heck last time Iwent to the ER for an attack, the nurse didnt believe that I ever gotinto the 500s.

Once I am awake and moving around my symptoms improvedramatically. But this lack of sleep is really making ithard.

As for the essential oils, Cinnamon, CLove and White Thyme do wondersfor me, Peppermint is nice too, but I would rather drink peppermint tea;)

As soon as I get this temp insurance card I am gunna go to the doctorand tell him your suggestion Gypsy. Maybe I will just goMonday since the visit probably wont be covered by the temp insuranceanyway. Cant go today since I have training... hmmm wonder ifthe clinic is open on Saturdays... will have to check that out.

goodidea on the clinic ,The sooner you can get theTheophlline running in your systemthe better . 300's still isnt enoughair flowing thru your lungs,thats too low , on really badattacks I have seen mine dropinto the low low 200'sthats scarey to say the least .

just do not let them tell youthe Serevent and albuteralinhalers do the same jobas the theophllinpills do , they DON'T . Bloodwork will confirm that you need more of this inyour system INSIST on both , loudlyif necessary .

I sympathize. I'm one too. :?

It stinks - big time! Hope and pray that all that suffer fromit get some relief. I think this heat and humidity issupposed to break for us in the northeast after tonight's rain storm.

-Carolyn

Hi, I have asthma to, I'm on a pill I take atnite Singular. I find that if I forget it for one nite I canreally tell, I wake up short of breath

I see you have one of the Ionic breeze, those are the worst airpurifiers for Asthmatics. I was going to get one but on thebox it said if you have asthma don't use. I called my Doctor& the Lung Association of Ontario and they both said do NOT useone of them.

Now I just have a Heppa air purifier, that seems to do the job.

Hope you feel better soon.

Soooska

Both of my daughters and my husband areasthmatics. I sincerely sympathize! We have HEPAfilter Air purifiers in all the bedrooms, the den and the livingroom. (You can get them at Sears for under $75.)They work wonders! We had no luck with the IonicBreeze. Didn't seem to take what ever was bothering them, outof the air.

And as much as it hurt, I forbid them to allow the buns on thebed. (They have to live outside but the girls bring them into run around and play.... but no animals in the bed or the bedrooms atall... had to be off limits.) Bought every one new pillowsand put allergin barrier covers on all the mattresses.Andas soon as we did that, my younger daughter startedsleeping better. Seasonally, twice a year (spring and fall)her asthmastill kicks in and we deal with it. Theyare all on Singulair, Albuterol and Advair...

We have found that a HOT steam vaporizor with a little peppermint oil,OLBAS oilor even Vicks Vapor rub in the resevoir helps too.

I'd try to skip the caffeine/coffee. My husband used to dothat, and it was a quick fix for that moment. But he startedhaving heart palputations and headaches. It causedsleeplessness and irritability (I speak form personalexperience...LOL!). There are other remedies and treatmentsthat have less side effects. And you need to get your sleep!

You poor dear. I feel for you.I havespent many, many nights sitting up (in hot steamy bathrooms) with oneor more kids just trying to breathe. No one should have to gothrough this.

Instead of coffee try something like green tea.I know during basketball that's what the nurse would give me if thealbuterol didn't work. Try keeping a fan running and we go with ade-humidifier or air conditioner when I can't sleep. I know it soundssilly but do you have anything silk to sleep in? It seems to helpbecause it lets your skin "breath" haha! I haven't had much troublesince I started doing this stuff... but before it was crazy.Would you try like Vicks rub?

It's just a thought,

Kat

the Red teais also good , madefrom the Ryobe tree , not onlydoes it have more antitoxicantpower when used with Honey thanGreen Tea , it helps clearpassages and mucus formed bythe asthma, I lovethe stuff and haveboxes of it everywhere lol .

If you have a coldand Badconjestion You can add aCinnamon stick to the water as it is heating upPersonally I leave the Cinnamon stick inthe tea and drink it that way .there is something about hottea, honey and cinnamon thatwork together to break up thenasty crap .
Did I mention findingshave shown People whodrink Tea have a slightbetter chance of not contracting Cancer, and a few CancerPatientshave actually benifited fromadding Tea's to their Diets.

I've used tea as well to easewheezing. I have a lot of trouble in the winter, coming in toa heated house from the cold outside. I sit and inhale thetea steam on lots of cold nights.

I feel bad for you. It must be terrible waiting. Ican't imagine being off my meds. I can tell a difference whenI miss one dose of anything. I'm on Singulair,Allegraand Serevent andthose dothe trickfor me.

Please be careful. I'm sure you know when it's time to go to the emergency room.

Laura

I used to be on Singulair, but the doc took me off when I was doing so well.

I have Servent but it doenst seem to be helping with the inflammation.

As for Vicks Vaporub, I find I prefer the muscle rub since itpenetrates into my chest muscles m(all that coughing hurts like a*****)

Just went out and bought allergen pillow covers today and Shawn did afull clean of the house. I do drink an organic tea thatpromotes healthy airways but it isnt the insta fix that coffee has beenlately. I cant drink coffee too much anyway because I detestthe stuff.

Been laying off dairy and sugar as much as possible. Todaywas a rough day due to the lack of sleep but also the restrainttraining, thats HARD work. I am feeling better now that I amhome in the AC comfort.

I am gunna look into the Hepa filter this weekend.

my brother has severe asthma..weve already hadto deal with his lung collapsing twice so we all have to monitor himcloser and he has to take major preventative cautions.........the twopreventative things that seem to help him the most are chest PT andthis sinus rise thing he does.............the chest pt (im sure youcould google as to the exact technique) is one us lighting hitting hisback for about 20minutes a day..it helps break up the mucous ......andthe sinus rinse (therres actually a product with that name which iswhat he uses) its a mixture of saline and bicarbonate soda and you haveto squirt it and inhale it up your nose so it comes out of yourmouth....ive done it while haveing a really bad sinus infection and ithelps TREMENDOUSLY ..hope this helps :)

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hy Gypsy, what brand is your red tea, I don't think I've heard of it?

Soooska
Its called Kalahari Red Tea, the kind I buy is theHighlands Honey , it hasa little better taste andis a smoother tea ,Its Naturally Caffeine Free 100% Natural , I reallylike it .

Well last night was a better night, didnt wake up with an attack, just a couple of weak coughs to clear my throat.

I got allergy pillowcases for my pillows (unfortunatly they didnt havea queen size mattress cover) took some cough medicine before bed(expectorant to get the gunk out of my lungs) Had Shawn rub some musclerub over my back and took a single puff before I laid down.And I had a cup of Yogi Tea for breathing health with no sugar, milk orhoney :p

I actually slept until 7:30 am!

Woulda slept longer but I am plannin on going to Tucker Town today =)

I have heard the same thing as SOOOSKA aboutionic purifiers. I have seen reports that the ionic part of apurifier is bad for breathing. The articles suggest avoidingthese types of purifiers if you have breathing problems or turning thatpart of it off if you have a dual. I would think a HEPApurifier would be best.

Back