orphaned baby and foster mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petsfanbooboo

Reaction score
I recieved a call earlier today from a friend who found an orphaned baby bunny in their yard. Apparently they have been feeding it cows milk for the last few days (maybe 3-7, they didn't say). When they found the baby it's eyes were closed but now it has opened them which means that it is about the same age as my litter because they opemed their eyes only about 5 days ago. I posted a thread on another forum but was reffered here for advice on the process of introducing the new baby to the doe that I think is best suited to adopt the little one. I have never experienced this situation before and I am concerned about the mother's temperment. She is not mean and she is a good devoted mom but she is a little fiesty and gets agrivated very easily, even with her own babies. I would like for the baby rabbit to be adopted by her because I have every reason to believe that it is a wild bunny and I would like to interact with it as little as possible and maybe release it once it is old enough, which will be more difficult because it is the only survivor of the dog attack that orphaned it. I am prepared to get formula for it and raise it by hand if that is what must be done but I feel it would be much easier, less stressful for the baby and also best for the baby if I can get my doe to adopt it. Please post any steps I should take in introducing the baby to my doe and any other advise orbehaviors I should watch for that might be helpful.

Moved to the Rabbitry.:)

I know there are several breeders here who have successfully fostered kits to other does. I think some does have no problems with taking new kits, others can be convinced by putting a little vanilla on the new baby to mask the scent. Don't quote me because I don't breed, I just read.;)

When I foster baby rabbits, I usually give the doe a favorite treat and take the nestbox out. I then put the little baby in with its new family. I wait about 10 minutes for the little baby to get the litter's smell all over him so the mother won't reject him. Then put the box back. I then give the doe another treat. Never had an issue but like you said, the doe that I used was friendly and let me look at her babies all the time.

I have also heard of some people putting Vick's Vapor Rub on the does nose to disquise her sense of smell for a little while so that the new baby can get the litter smell on him. Haven't tried this one yet.

The only problem is I don't know about how fast baby wild rabbits mature...for some reason I am thinking that they mature faster than domestic ones do. Hopefully someone else here can tell you.

Good luck.

Sharon

I would caution fostering a wild baby to a domestic doe. You never can tell if the little wild baby may be a carrier of disease or parasites that can be transferred to your doe and litter :?.

"Hand rearing" would probably be best... What I've done in the past is put the wild baby in a cage that it can't get out of and syringe fed until it's eyes opened and it started wandering, then I stopped the syringe feeding and put a saucer of milk supplement, fresh water, pellets, timothy hay, and some odds & ends from the yard (what they're used to eating in the wild). I kept it ina quiet room and only went in once a day to give fresh water & food. At 4 weeks old, it was more than ready to be released - and you can tell by the look in their eyes and their skittish reactions.

Another thing to consider is size. What breed is the litter you intend to foster to? If it's a larger breed than dwarf, then you have a big chance of the larger "littermates" picking on the little wild baby and seriously injuring it.

Just some thoughts to consider.

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back