Orange Pee, Connected Poos, Etc.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description:
Lilac coloured dutch, 3 lbs.

Sex
male.

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:

he's been having orange pee for a while. (i just looked and this time it's much more orange than before and he seems to get it all over his legs each time he pees) and every time he does this orange pee, he moves his butt so he pees behind the litterbox, underneath his hay. the litterbox is against the wall of the cage, so he has to TRY to do that. :I

his orange pee (i had to move the litter box- i was gunna put him a play pen to have some time out of the cage, and i was taking the litterbox there when i spotted it) he's made a total mess :I

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFs-14.jpg

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST:

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?
orange pee, poop seems normal, but some are connected by what seems like hair

- when did they last use their litterbox?
like, just now

- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? peeing so he JUST misses the litterbox

- what litter and/or bedding do you use? no bedding, i use blankets. he doesn't eat them.
his litter is "Yesterday's news"

Medical History

- spayed/neutered?
neutered

- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?
not that i know of. i took him to the vet recently and he was fine

- is s/he on any medications?
no

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat?
oat hay, timothy hay (previously alfalfa hay). mixture of pellets and timothy pellets. (slowly changing the pellets thats why) sometimes veggies like bok choy, parsley, mustard greens, sometimes a piece of carrot or apple

- when and what did s/he eat last?
hay. a few minutes ago.

- any changes in the way s/he eats?
no.

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?
seems to be fine!

- is the rabbit molting?
i dont think so. he sheds. all the time

- any weight loss?
no

- any sign of drooling? wet face?
no.

- runny eyes?
no.

- wet nose? coughing? sneezing?
wet nose. he's had a wet nose for a while, they told me that it was because of stress. he had a few sneezing fits the other day, but hasn't had as many. he had a brief, one time sneezing fit last night, and the night before.

- is s/he breathing normally
yes.

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach?
no

- has the rabbit been outdoors?
no

- any other pets? if so, have they been ill?
dogs and my other rabbit, solara. the dogs have been perfectly healthy. they dont come near the rabbits. solara is also in perfect health.

Well, the pee looks like a normal color. Connected poos are common during a molt. However, the behavior of peeing outside of the box on purpose is worrisome. Sometimes bunnies that are in pain, particularly abdominal pain, will pee in strange places. Is the frequency of poop normal? A normal size? Any strange sounds coming from his intestines? Sometimes gas pains can make a bunny pee on themselves.

Another thing you can try is to put up a barrier so he can't stick his bum over the side of the litterbox. Just last night I was playing with my bunnies and Muffin went into the litterbox, hung her bum out the side, and peed. She thought she was peeing in the box because all 4 feet were inside, but her bum was over the edge because the box wasn't big enough. Sometimes they think they're peeing in the box but aren't.

One more pee question: is the consistency the same? Is it gritty, sandy, or chunky?

Yield wrote:
IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description:
Lilac coloured dutch, 3 lbs.

Sex
male.

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:

he's been having orange pee for a while. (i just looked and this time it's much more orange than before and he seems to get it all over his legs each time he pees) and every time he does this orange pee, he moves his butt so he pees behind the litterbox, underneath his hay. the litterbox is against the wall of the cage, so he has to TRY to do that. :I

his orange pee (i had to move the litter box- i was gunna put him a play pen to have some time out of the cage, and i was taking the litterbox there when i spotted it) he's made a total mess :I

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFs-14.jpg

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST:

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?
orange pee, poop seems normal, but some are connected by what seems like hair

- when did they last use their litterbox?
like, just now

- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? peeing so he JUST misses the litterbox

- what litter and/or bedding do you use? no bedding, i use blankets. he doesn't eat them.
his litter is "Yesterday's news"

Medical History

- spayed/neutered?
neutered

- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?
not that i know of. i took him to the vet recently and he was fine

- is s/he on any medications?
no

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat?
oat hay, timothy hay (previously alfalfa hay). mixture of pellets and timothy pellets. (slowly changing the pellets thats why) sometimes veggies like bok choy, parsley, mustard greens, sometimes a piece of carrot or apple

- when and what did s/he eat last?
hay. a few minutes ago.

- any changes in the way s/he eats?
no.

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?
seems to be fine!

- is the rabbit molting?
i dont think so. he sheds. all the time

- any weight loss?
no

- any sign of drooling? wet face?
no.

- runny eyes?
no.

- wet nose? coughing? sneezing?
wet nose. he's had a wet nose for a while, they told me that it was because of stress. he had a few sneezing fits the other day, but hasn't had as many. he had a brief, one time sneezing fit last night, and the night before.

- is s/he breathing normally
yes.

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach?
no

- has the rabbit been outdoors?
no

- any other pets? if so, have they been ill?
dogs and my other rabbit, solara. the dogs have been perfectly healthy. they dont come near the rabbits. solara is also in perfect health.
i love it when people pay attention to the behavior of their rabbits,,this appears to be a dietary issue,,increase the timothy/orchard grasses,,small amount of quality lowfat pellets,,hold off the greens/treats for a couple days--thing should return to normal....good job--sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance::biggrin2:

tonyshuman wrote:
Well, the pee looks like a normal color. Connected poos are common during a molt. However, the behavior of peeing outside of the box on purpose is worrisome. Sometimes bunnies that are in pain, particularly abdominal pain, will pee in strange places. Is the frequency of poop normal? A normal size? Any strange sounds coming from his intestines? Sometimes gas pains can make a bunny pee on themselves.

Another thing you can try is to put up a barrier so he can't stick his bum over the side of the litterbox. Just last night I was playing with my bunnies and Muffin went into the litterbox, hung her bum out the side, and peed. She thought she was peeing in the box because all 4 feet were inside, but her bum was over the edge because the box wasn't big enough. Sometimes they think they're peeing in the box but aren't.

One more pee question: is the consistency the same? Is it gritty, sandy, or chunky?

really?
the pee looks really orang to me.
do you mean that orange colour is normal?
his pee is just.. wet. it doesn't look sandy or gritty and when i rub something hard in it, it still doesn't seem gritty or anything.
he poops a lot.
they're usually dark brown but some of them have a tint of green. is that normal? my bun solara doesn't have any green colour in her poop.
i listened to his tummy, and there's no sounds that i can hear that seem abnormal.

he might be like your bun and be accidentally missing the litterbox. it just SEEMS like hes doing it on purpose. he doesnt tend to pee in any other strange spot besides that one.

but the thing is that his litterbox is a cat one, it seems plenty big enough..

It might not be that the litter box is not big enough, more that the sides are not high enough. Some bunnies lift their butts really high when they pee.

I sometimes find pee under my litter boxes, especially if there is a big build up of hay in the litter box pulled down from their hay racks.

Also, when pee sits for a bit, it darkens. So normally when I find pee under a litter box it is a dark orangy-brown colour.

-Dawn

The green in the poop doesn't sound very normal. However, if his belly feels and sounds fine, and he doesn't seem to be in pain otherwise, it's probably ok. You might give him a bit of probiotic to make sure his GI bacteria are normal. I would worry a tiny bit about him having gas pains due to bad bacteria overgrowth, and that's causing the green poop and pain that makes him not pee in the right place. But I could be being overly cautious.

its like a greenish tint.
but what do you mean by probiotic?
and bad bacteria overgrowth?
im sorry, i wanna be sure i understand. ^-^;;

There are bacteria in the intestines that help the rabbit digest their food, especially things like hay. There are also some bad bacteria that live off other food sources and can make the bunny sick. The bad bacteria live off carbohydrates, sugar, and sometimes protein. That's why a good bunny diet is high in fiber and hay and low in carbohydrates. The bad bacteria produce a lot of gas when they eat their food and grow, and that can lead to a painful gas attack, where there's gas stuck in the intestines. Sometimes the pain of a gas attack can cause a bunny to pee irregularly, in particular, because the pain is in the abdomen, where the bladder is.

A probiotic makes the environment better for the good bacteria to grow. If the bad bacteria grow in number because they have a food source (like the bunny ate a bunch of carbs), they can cause the good bacteria to die off. A probiotic allows the good bacteria to grow again.

One that is easy to find in the US are Bene-Bac, which you can usually find at PetSmart, PetCo, etc, either in the dog/cat medical section (gel) or sometimes in the small animal section (powder). Another one that can be easy to find is called ProBios and is sold at farm supply stores. They make several different formulations, for horses, goats, cows, sheep, pets, pretty much anything. I prefer to use the gel form because my guys like to eat it out of a tube and I don't have to force them to take it.

I haven't seen a greenish tint on poop before, but if it's pretty uniform, not bright green, and probably related to the food. Sometimes the bad bacteria can cause a greenish mucus on the poop.

Latest posts

Back