Opinion on foodz

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
Alrighty, For the longest time I fed nothing but Nutrena because that was the only food that was available at my feed store unless I wanted to travel like an hour away. Not worth it. Then my business partner moved like 45 minutes away and on the way to my house there's another feed store that sold Blue Seal, which i'd been meaning to try. So we each got a bag of whatever formular we needed.

I thought the formula seemed good, There was some stuff in it I liked. But it was soooooo dusty. It was like covered in dust, like that really really cheap dog food and it seemed kind greasy. I just got so irritated that I had to sift all the food I gave to my rabbits. And then when I got all the food out, there'd be 6 inches of dust int he bottom of the bag. So I went back to Nutrena.

Recently right in town like 10 minutes away a tractor supply opened up. And they sell MannaPro which has the feed consistency of Nutrena but is a slightly better formula. Also at the feed store that only sells Nutrena, they only sell one formula...which is just the ''feed my rabbit'' formula basically. But TSC sells 3 different forumlas of manna pro and 3 different brands of rabbit feeds. There was one there I hadn't heard of....started with a D....I can't think of it off the top of my head.

So what I'm asking is, breeders please fill out myl ittle form here.

What feed do you use? (brand and formula)

Why do you like it or what do you like about it?

What difference does it make in your rabbits that other feeds just don't do for you?

What other feeds have you tried and why do you no longer use them?

This feed that you prefer, is it available everywhere or only in select areas?

Part II

What is your opinion of: (And if you already answered pieces of this just skip it)

Blue Seal

Nutrena

MannaPro

Part III

Do you use any supplements with your feeds? (hay included)

What do you use, when, and what does it do for your herd?

Anything else you'd like to add? Advice? Comments?

I feed Blue Seal Bunny16 to my mini rex. I have had good results with it.

It is very fresh when I get it. It is milled locally and is only a few days from

the mill when I buy it once a week. I also feed locally grown timothy hay

more to keep them busy and to keep the gut moving than for nutritional

purposes. I give oats to the babies and to a rabbit that is not eating

well. I also give black oil sunflower seeds as a treat a couple of days a week.

I fed a nationally known rabbit food for a couple years before that and was

happy with it until 1/3 of my herd came down with loose stool and 1/3 of

them just quit eating it. I lost a couple of brood does and a baby in that

episode. The thing that irritated me most about the whole thing was the lack

of honesty from the manufacturer.

If I became unhappy with the Blue Seal I would try the Manna Pro. I have heard

good things about it.

Roger

Hi,

I Feed Blue Seals Show Hutch Deluxe (I asume this is what you got cause it is a bit dusty) I do strain it before it goes to the bunnies

I use to feed DuMore (I think thats how you spelled it) but the bunnies didn't eat it like they eat the Show Hutch

I like Blue seals because I have not lost onekit while on it and it adds a nice shine to there fur and wool. it also has Papaya in it to help with fur digestion (I know this is controversially but i like the idea it is there)I do mix it with oats.

Dumore was the D feed I couldn't think of.

The Papaya was what I liked in blue seal. But I hate having to strain food for 60+ rabbits. I have things to do!

I was usingthe Show Hutch Delux.

So dusty!

I feed Burgess supa rabbit and i use the suparabbit junior and dwarf to kindling does, and lactating does. Not sure if you can get this in the states

I like it as its pellet only, not dusty, and has good content of calcium and protein and stuff.

I supplement with Hay, veggies and Entracare in the water to fight coccidosis and muccoid enteritus. the entracare is auk company but they are very helpful and if you emailed them they might ship it.

I had a couple of rabbits not eating very well and after 2 weeks on the entracare they are both eating well.

i can give you the website if anyone is interested:)

www.naturalfeeds.co.uk this is where i get my entracare they are really helpful and if you breed they have a formula to improve litter sizes and stuff, they are really nice if you are interested email them :)

www.burgesssupafeeds.co.uk i use suparabbit excell, juniour and dwarf and the superforage which all my rabbits love

i also give conefolwer and echinacea sometimes as a treat as its a good immune booster, you can get it in the pets at home over herebut this is a website that does it www.rosewoodpets.com its one of the naturals range they love anything for that range (not used this website though just so you know)

I've also given eccinachea to my rabbits. I used to bake it into treats. They sell the capsules at dollar tree for a buck, so I would just get those and break open the capsules and dump the powder into a bowl. Then I'd grind up pellets and make a pellet slurry with water and flour, and add in minced carrot and apple, honey and mooshed banana and roll them into balls and bake it in the oven until it got mildly hard. They couldn't get enough of them.

You can also make the same ''cookies'' without the eccinachea. My brother used to eat them. :ponder:

I use Manna Pro (Pro) year round. I also use Manna Pro (Gro) when the Checkered Giant doeshave litters, until the kitsare about 5 months old.

Why do you like it or what don't you like about it?

I like that I can get it at any Tractor Supply Co. I like the protein and fiber content. I like the papaya enzymes and other microbios in it. I like the size of the pellets and lack of fines (dust).

I don't like that it can get old sitting on their shelves. I am always sure to check date.

What difference does it make in your rabbits that other feeds just don't do for you?

Condition and fur quality. Plus, they like the taste.

I tried DuMor which is also available at TSC. The rabbits didn't like it and some of them refused to eat it. It was much dustier. I didn't like the protein/fiber ratio as much. The main thing- the rabbits almost instantly lost condition on it. I fed it for one week before switching back. I also used to use Seminole brand rabbit feed, but found pieces of whole kernel corn in it sometimes. Not good!

Available mainly at TSC, though some other feed stores carry it as well. Seems to be available nation-wide.

Part II

What is your opinion of: (And if you already answered pieces of this just skip it)

Blue Seal- Never tried it. I've heard good things, though.

Nutrena- Never tried it.

MannaPro- So far, I've been very happy with it.

Part III

What do you use, when, and what does it do for your herd?

I do feed Timothy Hay or some type of grass hay several times a week. I use this for digestive health, to move hair along in their gut (I raise a wooled breed), to give them something to do, for increased fiber content, etc.

During the show season I will also supplement with a homemade conditioning supplement. It is a mix of rolled oats, black oil safflower seeds, wheat germ oil/flax oil and sometimes other things. Adds luster to coats and a nice level of condition to flesh.

If you find a brand of feed that your rabbits do well with. Stick to it. It seems that rabbits will adapt to a feed over time. I like a feed that keeps my rabbits in good flesh condition, it's important to me and sometimes hard to get with my breed. I know there are probably better feeds out there for my rabbits, but Manna Pro is something I can get easily and my rabbits love it. I know people that jump around to different feeds like crazy and their rabbits never seem to be consistent in coat or flesh. I can't imagine it is good for their guts, either.

Thanks, Clarzoo, that was very helpful.

I also used to use black oil seeds but the last time I ran out about am onth ago I never got more. I used to get it at the feed store but it's so much less expensive at walmart.

I've also used wheat germ oil and still have some I should get back int he swing of thigns with that.

It seems thuogh that no matter what I do, my rabbits' coats never stay in condition. I had an awesome buck I showed at the PA Convention and I was thrilled and excited to death to show him because his fur and flesh were in perfect condition and he got 1st place! And then he went downhill from there and his coat never came back.

Can you all perhaps give me some opinions on skin an coat supplements? What do you usea nd reccoment? How well has it worked for oyu and what else have you tried?

-JAK

I use DuMor the Show Formula.

Why do you like it or what do you like about it?

It smells great and it gives all my rabbits a nice shiny and healthy looking coat and they love and they are healthy.

They have a nice healthy coat and they are healthy.

I used to use L&M Rabbit Feed. I didn't like it because it didn't do too much.

DuMor is available at TSC.

I also give my rabbits in there diets. Once in a while I will give them oats but not all the time.

When I used to use L&M it was good for a while until I didn't like it. Then when I found TS I seen a new fed DurMor,so I tried DuMor and I seen WONDERFUL results in my rabbits! When I shown my rabbits I had half of my rabbits that used L&M when they were young and the other half used DuMor. The rabbits that did excellent and gotten RBOB/BOB were the ones used DuMor when they were young. The ones with L&M they didn't do so well. So I say try DuMor it would work very well.

As far as conditioners and supplements go- I use them only sparingly and only during show and breeding season. A good quality pellet feed is most important.

Remember that oils can go bad. Wheat germ oil and the oil in seeds don't last for long. I'd replace anything you have that is more than 4-6 months old. Also, store oils in a cool dark place (sunlight and heat quickly degrades vitamins).

It's always a bummer when a good show rabbit loses that lustrous coat. They sure don't seem to keep them long enough. If your rabbits aren't on supplements and you add them totheir diet, you are likely to throw them into a molt (changing feed may do the same) so consider that. Start supplementing far enough before your first show to allow for a molt. Changes in temperature will always messcoats up, too.

There are some commercially available coat conditioners like Doc's Rabbit Enhancer. Some people swear by these- I've never tried them though. I'm too cheap, lol!! Good health, genetics and quality feed are the best thing you can do for your herd!

And oh yeah when you want to see which is the best feed compair the feed side by side,read the back of the bag to see what it does. When I still had the old food L&M and when I gotten the new feed DuMor I seen a HUGE difference in both of the food. :)

Yeah i'm also cheap, which is why I never really bought a crapload of conditioners and supplements. I also believed that just having a good quality feed makes all the difference. I do miss the effect the black oil sfs had on my buns so i'll probably pick more of that up. Even though bunny food is relatively cheap....why does it cost me so much? Its all these darn babies. They eat so much.

"Oh we're growing we need lots of food so we can sill it all over the fricking place and be starving the next day''.

Even if they eat it, they're always hungry. I notice I go through sooooo much feed when I have babies that are at the just weaned stage.

Eat. Poop. Eat. Poop. Eaaaaaatttttt pooop.

clarzoo wrote:
As far as conditioners and supplements go- I use them only sparingly and only during show and breeding season. A good quality pellet feed is most important.

Remember that oils can go bad. Wheat germ oil and the oil in seeds don't last for long. I'd replace anything you have that is more than 4-6 months old. Also, store oils in a cool dark place (sunlight and heat quickly degrades vitamins).

It's always a bummer when a good show rabbit loses that lustrous coat. They sure don't seem to keep them long enough. If your rabbits aren't on supplements and you add them totheir diet, you are likely to throw them into a molt (changing feed may do the same) so consider that. Start supplementing far enough before your first show to allow for a molt. Changes in temperature will always messcoats up, too.

There are some commercially available coat conditioners like Doc's Rabbit Enhancer. Some people swear by these- I've never tried them though. I'm too cheap, lol!! Good health, genetics and quality feed are the best thing you can do for your herd!

Back