One of my bucks...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopntailrabbitry

Reaction score
Well of course all of you guys know that I breed rabbits. :)

Anyways I know some of you guys are breeders on here... Anyways here it goes.....

I have one buck..Miracle of course. He is a Holland Lop and he is 9 months old. Now he REALLY wants to be bred. Now ever since he was 3 months old he wanted to be bred. Now over the past few months he has ben very aggressive to me where he will always bite me and to the point where he has broken the skin and where I've bled for a good 15 minutes and he is extremely nasty and all he cares about is does. Also he loves the attention. Now I don't know when I'm going to breed him so I was just wondering should I stick a stuff animal in his cage so he can hump on it? lol :D And also he was at the fair everybody was worried about him because he kept on pacing back and forth and sometimes he does it at home too. Also he gotten me soo good when he sprayed me.

Now seriously if I video taped him some of you might be laughing what he does other times hes a plain jerk. lol

Any suggestions with the toy. hehe And NO I'm not going to get him fixed he is going to start pretty soon to be in my breeding program.

Thanks!

I would get him a stuffed animal but if he is biting a lot there is a chance he could hurt a doe when breeding her or genetically pass on to the kits some of his bad temperament.

When I have a buck like that - I don't breed them. I don't want it passed on and I don't want my does hurt.

Just my .02

Peg

I don't trust rabbits with stuffed toys- especially when they are outside and less likely to be noticed if they chew or eat the toy. I give my bucks a large drink bottle or a half gallon sized milk jug. They will push it around and sometimes hump it- at any rate, they will release all that extra energy. Hormonal bucks are a normal part of breeding.

What I am concerned about with your guy is the aggressiveness. I will allow my does a bit of moodyness, but I do not tolerate it in my bucks. If a buck bites he does not stay in my barn long! Hollands, especially, are known for their sweet temperaments and laid back personality- just like my fuzzies. You aren't doing much for the breed or yourself by allowing an aggressive animal into your breeding program.

If Miracle was my bunny, I would think really hard about keeping him in my program. You said his parents are nice- does he have a brother you could use that has a better temperament? The problem with not keeping him is what to do with an aggressive rabbit? I'd recommend neutering him and finding him a good pet home.

It sounds like Miracle is what my long-time breeder friend calls a 'p*sser-pacer', lol!! (I hope that's ok to say!!) That's what she calls bucks that just spray all over the place, never stay clean, get the rabbits in neighboring cages dirty too, pace back and forth non-stop and are so crazy for breeding that they get nasty. You can't even show them because they are always urine stained!!! I hope I'm not discouraging you- but the best thing we can be as breeders is honest about our animals and their place in our breeding programs.

lol Twice he sprayed me in the ear! Omg I was freaking out when he did that. But he will only try to bite me when I don't give him enough attention or when I already pet a rabbit before him.

But him and his sister are the only two surivors but I sold his sister a long time ago and his sister died because the person didn't know how to take care of bunnies. Miracle can be sweet but when it's time when he sees or smells a doe oh jeez. lol

When I first purchased Miracle's sire-Toby. He kinda acted like Miracle-well except Toby didn't bite me he would pace back and forth too. After when I bred Toby a couple of times he was fine. I should get Miracle bred but like I mentioned I don't know which doe to breed him with.

TinysMom wrote:
When I have a buck like that - I don't breed them. I don't want it passed on and I don't want my does hurt.

Just my .02

Peg

I agree with you 100% Peg.If I everhad a agressive buck that is just outright rank I will not use him, I would get him fixed and try to pethim out,you really don't want to allow that to pass onto his offspring.

clarzooI agree with you too a buck with a bad attitude expecally a Holland would be out of my barn in a heart beat, I breed for bunnies with a good adittude I choose only the best adittude in my breeding program.

Miracle hasn't bitten me yet again so far ever since he gotten me soo good the day of the showing. I guess as long as I give him attention and everything he should not bite me. But anyways even though his tail is up as far as it can go he wants to be bred soo bad. lol Poor lil guy I'm making him suffer. But hopefully I can sell 2 bunnies really fast so then I can breed Classy with Goliath.

I agree with the others - I don't think that Miracle should be bred. If he's aggressive, I would probably sell him. Even if you didn't sell him, I think you should neuter him. I can understand his aggression. When he's not neutered, his one, and his only aim in life is to breed. If he's surrounded by does, and he can smell them, but he can't get to him, he will be frustrated and stressed, causing him to lash out occasionally in his bid to escape.

He sounds like he's just acting like a normal male rabbit, maybe a little extreme, but not completely out of the ordanairy behavior. But he does sound a bit aggressive, and I think it would be fairest to him to get him neutered. Once he starts breeding, he may quieten down a little bit, but I don't think that the biting will ever go away. It's just hormones overloading him. He may also be a bit nasty anyway.

If you do end up breeding, he may end up getting so excited and aggressive that he hurts the doe, which you do not want.

I know it seems like it's all alright, but think of Miracle, and of the Holland Lop breed. Miracle is one aggressive bunny. Breed him, and you might get another couple. They get sold, they get bred, that's another few aggressive bunnies. Before you know it, Miracle could have passed on his aggression to 50, 100, 200 other bunnies! I think he would be happier if he was neutered and kept as a single, or maybe a bonded pair at a quiet home. :)

Rachel.

PS: I'm sorry if that sounded a little harsh, I'm just trying to think of it from Miracle's point of view. Just my two cents worth.

As I did stated that I will never get him fixed. And I think the reason why he is nasty because he is in the cage all day. But I've had him outside for a few times and he was fine,he was sweet when I had him outside.

As I did stated that I will never get him fixed.

I hope you will take what Mikoli has said into consideration. Miracle could turn into a great, snuggly pet bunny if you get him fixed. If not, I'm afraid he will continue to be both aggressive and unhappy.

You're his human - he depends on you for everything he needs, just as human children depend on their moms and dads. I think it's very important to to try and do what is best for the rabbit. Sometimes that's not what is easiest or most convenient for us - but it is worth it, on so many levels, to try.

Neutering/spaying can be incredibly helpful with aggressive buns - and I've got a girl who was awfully bitey for months after she was spayed. Now she snuggles with her face against mine, and rarely do her teeth ever touch me. (and then only lightly.) She no longer has to contend with hormones, and she's all grown up.

Your aggressive boy could be a wonderful pet/companion for someone - maybe even you! - but he will need to be altered for that to happen.

Latest posts

Back