Oliver

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratmom

Reaction score
Ok so over the weekend I didn't see oliver eat I think it was saturday. His tummy was making growling noises so we started him on the baby anti gas stuff. Gave him massages. I gave him some pineapple juice which he likes & he started to eat oats now, but he won't touch his pellets. I saw a poop in there this morning so the gas stuff must be working. My other bun is eating pellets fine, but He's been having watery eyes lately. Oliver never ate hay much and he is shedding terrible right now. Could this be sign of mold in their food?

The molting might be causing a sluggish gut and gas, which will make himgo 'off his food'.

Gas and stasis are usually symptoms moreso than causes, so we must be diligent watching for food reactions, blockages, viruses, parasites,dental problems and yes, mycotoxin poisoning from moldy food,among other things.

First line of defence in this house is still hydration.

Good luck with Oliver! Hope it's nothing more than a brief molt reaction.

sas :clover:

I think I would keep up with the simethicone and belly rubs in case its gas. It cant hurt.

Keep trying to get him to eat and poop. Also, as pipp said, keep him hydrated. Try spraying a little apple juice or something yummy on his hay right before you put it in his cage, maybe this will entice him.

Also, keep watch that his belly doesnt get larger and firm, that would be the sign of a blockage from something like ingested hair.

Canned pumpkin too! Bo hates it so I put it right on his paw! and he has to lick it off!

Clover will eat his share given the chance! LOL!

Oh Oliver loves canned pumpkin I try to keep it here for the buns and rats. Well this morning I woke up to lovely poops in his cage so that's good. He's more active now, back to humping his stuffed raccoon lol. The only thing is he will eat everything else except pellets so something has to be wrong with them, because now he's eating hay which he never does. So I'm going to try and return this bag, the only thing is now that he won't touch them I wonder if he will even touch the new bag. I hate to switch him to a total new brand. Our vet wants them on timothy now, but I was waiting for this bag to go down.

YAY! POOS!!! (only we bunny people can yell it like that ya know?! lol)

I'd keep him on the same pellets for a while until he's back ON the pellets. Too many changes are not good.

LOL
Well bought a new bag of food and guess what he immediately started eating it so it must have been that food. He was going to town on that bowl too lol. Hubby mentioned the new bag looks darker than the other so I'm not sure what that means, but I'm just glad he's back to eating it. Thanks for all your help :)

I love Oxbow because it has a date on it!

pet foods can mold = I always check the dog food and stuff.

I'm glad he's happY!

I use the purina in the big green bag and they just put what date they made it. This bag was in june and the new one says july. Once this bag gets down I'm going to switch them over to timothy like the vet wants them on I just need find the right kind. I can't find oxbow here so I'll have to order it or I was thinking of trying sweet meadow farms.

Latest posts

Back