OK to travel when megacolon issues are flaring?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Zoe ishaving a megacolon flare-up, which became very obvious last Wed. She's had major sub-Qs, x-rays and a fecal culture at the vet's. She'snow ona variety of meds, which seem to be making her feel better.

Here's my quandry: My hubby and I have long had plansto go to MItomorrow for the day (about 12-15 hours' total). We're to celebrate my (and other in-laws) May birthdays, as well as Mother'sDay.

The vet said that I should be able to go, as long as Zoe continues to improve. (Of course, I'd medicate her before/after the trip, as required.) Still, I worry about her. And I worry that my hubby will be upset with me if I suddenly say that I can't/won't go. (He could accept my b-day cards/gifts for me, true.)

If in my shoes, would you still go, if your bun seemed to be doing better?

Jenk

To be honest, you have to decide what is best for you. What someone else would do, is not necessarily best for you and your guys even if it is best for them.

If one of my buns were poorly and I was due to go away, I think I would have to take each situation and look at it differently, in some cases I might go, in some I might not.

How would you feel if you didn't go? How would you feel if something happened to Zoe when you were away.

Look deep inside, ignore both emotions and logic, and what is your gut instinct as to what you should do? Your gut instinct won't lead you wrong if you trust it.

Flashy wrote:
How would you feel if you didn't go? How would you feel if something happened to Zoe when you were away.
That's a no-brainer for me: I'd feel devestated (even if her condition worsened but evened out again with extra care).
Look deep inside, ignore both emotions and logic, and what is your gut instinct as to what you should do? Your gut instinct won't lead you wrong if you trust it.
Personally, I'd like to go but for less time--as long as Zoe's still active, eating/drinking and looking bright-eyed. But I don't know if my hubby will compromise, since he would like to see his family (whom we don't see for nearly six months at a time).

If Zoe were to seem "iffy," I'd have to tell Dear Hubby to do without me. It wouldn't be a cheerful situation, but I could find a way to live with it.

Is there anyway you could travel out together and then you travel back early? Or he travel out before you and you follow him, and then come back together? I'm not sure if flying, etc, is a possibility.

Flashy wrote:
Is there anyway you could travel out together and then you travel back early? Or he travel out before you and you follow him, and then come back together? I'm not sure if flying, etc, is a possibility.

Flying is not a possibility (too pricey).

I'll either get Hubby to agree to a shorter visit, or I'll forego the trip. At least, for now, those seem to be the main options staring me in the face.

I don't think it would be too bad to leave her alone for 12-15 hours. How often is she supposed to take her meds? As long as you don't miss too many doses, it should be ok. If she is getting her meds, having some quiet time to let them work through her system may be helpful. I also don't know if being there if a stasis event occurred would be all that helpful. That's just me, I know you are very careful about taking good care of your bunnies, but maybe she just needs a day to let the meds work, and for her to get bored and eat tons of hay.

tonyshuman wrote:
I don't think it would be too bad to leave her alone for 12-15 hours.
I just broke the news (my perceived two options) to Hubby; he didn't seem surprised or even upset. Okay, that's at least a plus....

How often is she supposed to take her meds? As long as you don't miss too many doses, it should be ok.

Several of the meds. are given every 12 hours'. The way Hubby's talking, we wouldn't even be gonefor quite 12 hours'; so no dosage would be missed. (Even if it were given a little later than 12 hours' apart, it'll still be given. :))
If she is getting her meds, having some quiet time to let them work through her system may be helpful. I also don't know if being there if a stasis event occurred would be all that helpful.
True, true. If I were here alone, the only thing I could do is syringe herextra fluids. (I don't trust myself to try giving sub-Qs without assistance. Lucky for me, she'll take Critical-Care flavored water without issue.)
...I know you are very careful about taking good care of your bunnies, but maybe she just needs a day to let the meds work, and for her to get bored and eat tons of hay.
I'd go so far as to say that all four animals (including one cat) might be thrilled to have total quiet time for most of the day.

For 12 hours?

I'd go.

As much as I hate to leave any bun I'm concerned with...as long as they're reasonably stable....I'd go.
Yeah...I know...""what do you consider "reasonably"?""
Gotta use your best judgement there. You know her best.

Chippy is my "megacolon posterbun", and has bouts quite often...and usually at the most inopportune times.

Sometimes we both need the rest from each other, though.
Ithink I annoy her when I check on her too often, too.

Put on your best game face from now until you go....and as much as you can while your gone, too.
Maybe give her something to keep her busy... a new toy...hay cubes...a bundle of hay tied up with a strand of hay...etc.

Try to have a good time.
Are you spending the time at someone's home... or going out...or both?

Where in MI?
I'm originallyfrom Detroit.

JimD wrote:
As much as I hate to leave any bun I'm concerned with...as long as they're reasonably stable....I'd go.
Yeah...I know...""what do you consider "reasonably"?""
Gotta use your best judgement there. You know her best.
I was growing concerned that the Reglan (metaclopramide?) that she's on wasn't working (or that there might be a newly-formed blockage); she only passed small, broken, smelly fecals last night. Then I get up this morning to find a plethora of poop in her box. It's still odd (unusually smooth, actually), but it's poop. :D

Last night, she was gassy (again) to the point of discomfort; I gave her Simethicone and will likely give another ("just-in-case")dose this morning.

Of all three of our buns, Zoe handles pain the best, though. I never want to see her suffer, but she definitely holds up admirably.
Chippy is my "megacolon posterbun", and has bouts quite often...and usually at the most inopportune times.
We're due to take a week-long trip in July; I'm already freaked that Zoe's system won't be back to "semi-normal" by then. :(

Sometimes we both need the rest from each other, though.
Ithink I annoy her when I check on her too often, too.

That's very true.
Put on your best game face from now until you go....and as much as you can while your gone, too. Maybe give her something to keep her busy... a new toy...hay cubes...a bundle of hay tied up with a strand of hay...etc.
Oooohhh...I love thehay bundle idea. The crew's current hay is lovely 1st-cut from Sweet Meadow. It's super-long strands are perfect for tying up a bundle. I think we'll do it for all three bunners. :D
Try to have a good time.
Are you spending the time at someone's home... or going out...or both?
Where in MI?
I'm originallyfrom Detroit.
We'll be at my in-laws' home, which is in Hamilton (near Saugatuck, Douglas...).

Go forth and have fun!:)

Latest posts

Back