ok he is trying to bite me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
I just got Fluff on Friday all the way from Virginia, it was a 6-7 hour drive for him, and then into a house with animals and kids and lots of noise. So on Sat , i think, i put my arm in the cage to pick up some soft cecal that he hadnt eaten so that he wouldnt step on it and smush it on him, and he charged at me :shock: i could hear him grunting, then i tried to move some stuff and that is when i didnt move fast enough and he nipped my finger:headsmack, dont worry i still love him. So i adjusted his cage and put it up on the table thinking maybe on the floor he was frightened of all of us people looming over his cage, but he still did it there, i also chalked it up to him still being out of sorts because of the travel and everything. So yesterday i built him a 2x3 NIC pen that i have been p utting him in during the day with his litter pan, food, hay and toys, and his little hut house. Today i was walking by and he had some poo on the floor, he is doing great with thte pee, so i leaned over the pen (i guess looming over him) and he charged me, then ran in his hut, then charged out of his hut at me, this time i was quicker in moving my hand and didnt get bit but i am wondering what do i do to curb this behaviour.

He about 7 weeks old, not nueterd yet. I wanted to add that when i step into the pen, he will charge at my slippers,lol, and if my arms are down on the ground he charged at them i had a sweater on so no bites on my arms, but usually he doesnt bite me when i am in the pen , and when you hold him he doesnt bite.

So what am i doing wrong, how s hould i be approaching this?

I know Belle will grunt and charge me if i am in her cage with a tissue to clean up pee, but she usually grunts , runs over and then licks me.

ha ha ha the lady i foster piggies for told me it must be my house cause two of the piggies i have gotten from her over the last year where bitters,lol!!!!!!!!

Ali do you think i should do something or not do something, like should i just leave him be and dont mess with him, or keep going in when he is there and cleaningso he gets use to me?

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
oh i wanted to add that in the naming process i have added Cujo to the list,lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha. Add "Monty" to that list, too.. as in the evil Monty Python rabbit.

Seriously... good luck. :) I think it's possible that it's fear based due to his current level of stress. If that's the case, the more comfortable he gets with you the more his behavior will improve. You just need to take it slowly, reward good behavior, get him to associate you with good things like treats or head scratches when he's comfortable. Try to avoid doing anything that will make him feel more uncomfortable.

If it's hormones on the other hand... that's trickier since he's so young and neutering isn't an option yet. Are you sure about his age?

I petsit for a few rabbits and one of them, who is a very nice rabbit when you get to know him (neutered adult), bit my boyfriend (HARD) for just putting his hand out in front of the bunny. I think he was overly defensive because he was so scared. We took it slowly, offered treats and did our best to avoid getting bit. The rabbit settled down and let us pet him and no longer tried to bite...

yes he was born feb 19 of this year i got him from a member on this board.

i will just have to go in there when i need to, to put him in in the morning or to take him out. i hope he gets that i am here to cover him i n kisses not hurt him

I would say gradually increase the time you spend with him daily. Maybe sit in the pen with him and don't try to pet him or directly interact with him right away, but give him time to get used to you being there and nothing bad happening to him. You could gradually work up to petting, giving treats, ect.

Latest posts

Back