ok..... bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishlops

Reaction score
before any one says, yes, i did read the libary about bonding.
today, caramel was at the vet.
the vet said to bring her outside on a lead for half an hour each day, and maybe introduce my other rabbit eyore carefully.
caramel ran up to his hutch. they licked and made happy griding nosies. not loud, but soft grinding.
so after 5mins of that., i put on my gloves and lifted caramel in.
they licked some more.
then for no reason, eyore, the male started to hump her. i thought it was dominace.
so before he could hurt her i lifted him off.
more licking. then his penis or what every the prober name is came out, and he mated her.
now. i took cold water, and i now have a cold, unhapppy male rbbit.
but...... the male was netered on the 12 of feburary.
the girl spayed 3 weeks ago. so i am not expecting babies.
but, how do i stop eyore geting "excited" in the wrong ways. after he was wet he licked her. she growled, but ended up licking him.
so...... what should i do. im googleing bonding rabbits as i speak

Personally, if it was me, I'd leave it a bit longer before trying to bond them- Caramel has just had a fairly big operation for a rabbit and she had a lot of trauma afterwards- I would say that she needs a bit more time to recover and make sure she is fully back to health before you begin bonding.

Bonding is normally best done on neutral territory- like a pen in the garden if you have one, or somewhere else that neither of them go very often.

It doesn't sound like your first meeting went too badly though- bunnies will often hump even if they are neutered, to establish dominance. My bunny Barney was forever trying to hump Mouse and Chalk when they were bonding, but he knows better than to try that sort of thing with Snowy! Even my 2 spayed girls, Mouse and Chalk, hump each other now and again. You want to watch out for signs of aggression, like biting, etc, and the gloves are a very good idea because having to separate 2 rabbits that have a full-on fight can be a bit dangerous....

yes, they were humping... but eyore got a bit carried away.....
i think i will wat till... 2 or 3 weeks sure till i try again.
(about the gloves. lol i know from breathing in the hutch! i dont want any more bites or scrathches. )

wow, that sounds as if it went very well for a first time intro.!

I agree with mouse_chalk though, i personally would wait a few more weeks, for Caramal to heal :)

Have you got another run you could put next to Eeyores run, then you could put her in it?

i am bonding my two next month and my set up is like this at the moment. (thats pebble in the run)
Only one goes in the run at a time. I am swapping their litter trays over aswell, so they get used to each other smells. x

Yep, it's still a little early. A bit of humping is fine, and actually good because it means they really like each other. I'd wait until he's at least 4 weeks after his neuter, then try some more bonding sessions. Switching litter pans is a great idea, and you can let them hump for a little while provided 1) they're not face humping--this can lead to some serious ouchies!! This has happened with very dreadful consequences to forum bunnies Zeke (male) and Hailey (female). and 2) the other guy doesn't get too annoyed at being humped. If you think the one being humped is getting really annoyed, squirt the humper with a water bottle to distract him, or pull him off of the other for a bit. ;)

Mai_Roberts wrote:
wow, that sounds as if it went very well for a first time intro.!

I agree with mouse_chalk though, i personally would wait a few more weeks, for Caramal to heal :)

Have you got another run you could put next to Eeyores run, then you could put her in it?

i am bonding my two next month and my set up is like this at the moment. (thats pebble in the run)
Only one goes in the run at a time. I am swapping their litter trays over aswell, so they get used to each other smells. x

they dont have a run. but funnily enough i asked my dad again to day before i went to school. he said wait till you get back from school...

would i bring them into the a never been t bit of the house aswell????

hey, i have a few weeeks any

yes put them on compleatly neutral space :)
Are they both outdoor buns?

Last night i put Pebble in Baileys hutch and Bailey in Pebble's hutch, just so they can get used to each other smells x x

Mai_Roberts wrote:
yes put them on compleatly neutral space :)
Are they both outdoor buns?

Last night i put Pebble in Baileys hutch and Bailey in Pebble's hutch, just so they can get used to each other smells x x

they are out side bunnies. but my girl go spayed... and its not gone well so she has to recover in the house.

they both get in side once a week.

i mix them up in the hutch as well!:)

Latest posts

Back