oh my gosh diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaChan5

Reaction score
So my bunny is defanitly having some kind of diarrhea problem.

So around january I knowtice her having a bit of a dirty butt. I asked about in on here and was sujested to change her to a healthyer diet. So i gradualy weened her to a much healthyer food (temothy complete rabbit food). I also continued like have have been sence forever, been giving here half and carrot and a big hand full of greens every day. So sence then she been doing great. now suddenly, sence a weekish ago she has a dirty but again. now, it is much worse. now i been knowticing big wet and very mushy poop spots in her cage. she seems to not make it in her litter box.

ok well the first time i knowticed her whole back side was drinched in wet gross soggy poo. i cleaned her up, gave her butt a nice good bath. then it seemed to be ok.after thati be knowticing spots of what i'm now going to call diarrhea in her cage everyday (i been making sure she has plenty of water).but it hasen't really been making her butt that dirty and it seemed to be getting less and less by each day.

As a side note she gets really exsited when it is food time. I sit in fount of her cage, she hops out. i get her food bowl out. she moves aroud all exsited looking and me and for the food that is coming. hopin all over the place in front of me.

ok well today, as she dose this she is ozzing diarrea aaaaaall over the place. only when she moved it'd come out. i was trying to get her on a towel to prevent a bigger mess but it just made it worse. she was to focesed on getting her food. oh my gosh it was pretty bad. it was really dark brown to as has all the diarhea i've seen form her.

what should i do? take her to the vet? change her diat agian? she seems to be acting her normal self. just been having diarrhea. hasen't been acting sick or anything.:nerves1

p.s. she is 1year, 2mounths and 1 day old. also she is spayed

p.p.s sorry for my horribal spelling

I was first going to ask if she was doing any formed proper rabbit poo (the fecals- the ones), and if the diarrhoea was excess cecals, but it sounds like it is just full on diarrhoea.

Personally, I think she needs the vet just to rule out problems that can upset the gut, parasites, etc.

I would also look at cutting out some of the veges temporarily until the gut is settled and then gradually reintroducing them. The carrot may be adding to the problem because they are high in sugar which can affect a rabbits gut.

Your bun will also need to be kept hydrated, so use a bowl, and also maybe try some pedialyte too.

Poor bunny :( Is there any chance she is eating anything poisonous through her bars or on her travels? Or licking anything potentially harmful?

ETA- Don't know what other people would think, but it mght be worth cutting down the pellets and REALLY pushing the hay. I believe that diarrhoea can be a sign of not enough fibre in the diet (but someone may need to clarify it), so and maybe cutting down on pellets and veges, and pushing the hay might help if there is no medical reason for the diarrhoea.

I would cut out the carrot for now and then maybe when she's better, give her a coin or small piece now and then for a treat (like 1 time a week) when you are having carrots yourself or something.

My bunny, Bo is very sensitive to greens. He can eat a couple about once a week or he gets a dirty bottom. He does much better with hay and pellets and a treat once in a while. Most of the time his treats are a few pieces of cilantro or parsley.

AT THIS POINT - I'd get her to the vet. She can dehydrate, etc.

and feed her nothing but hay for now!

I would take her to the vet an have her tested for parisites and/or GI infections.
She may need IV liquids to help rehydrate her, too.

I acholy did knowtice some of the fecals two days ago.

there this plant my mom has sitting in the same room as her. that i constently catch her nibbleing on and i allway have to mover her away from. I bet thats it :(. i feel dumb i shouda moved it, i though it would be fine sence the first time i cough her nibbleing at it, it didn't bother her.

i'm moving that plant out of the room right now. also i am goin to cut down one the carrots and greens. and push timothey hay, i have a huge thing of it.

also is there any suggested better green to give her. i know she loves broccoli

diarrhea like this can be realy serious

Are you feeding her hay ?

I noticed that you said greens and timothy pellets
if the diarrhea is as you described I would make a vet appt ASAP and get her there fast. She will become dehydrated. You can give her some infant pedialyte by syringe until you can gether tothe vet.

if you are not feeding herhay this could be the reason why she is having diarhea

if you are feeding hay give her only hay and water right now nothing else ..except the pedialyte

also give her a dose of benebac (probiotic) if you have it now as this willplace some good bacetria ia in her gut; there are apparently none there right now.

ihad a rabbit with a tape worm that would get explosive diarrhea whenf fed greens
you cannot rule out parasites or other issues.

Don't give her brocolli right now. It's a gassy veggie - I stick with things like cilantro, parsley, romaine, carrot tops WHEN SHE"S BETTER!

pedialyte is liquid electrolytes for babies and small kids to replenish their systems when they are vomiting and have diarrhea . they sell it at walmart, Walgreens, almost evreywhere... sometimes it is generic brands but it is liquid electrolytes

I just read about the plant; could also be that ; do you know what the plant is called?

Could also be too much brocolli; don't feed any

Iwon't even feed brocolli because i am afraid it will give my buns gas; you cannot feed a lot of it.

Absolutely get her to the vet. I wonder what this plant could be--is it possibly a toxic plant? Take her to the vet ASAP and bring a leaf of the plant if you don't know what it is. If you take her in and leave her there (in a carrier with a water bottle and lots of hay, of course) they may be able to fit her in between appointments. You might not have to wait there either.

thank you every one for your help. Today i haven't seen any diarrhea yet. i'm still going to take action and feed her only timothy hay and wather and the pedialyte. and i'm taking her to the vet early tomorrow morning

Back