Odd Hairless Spots

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woahlookitsme

Reaction score
For the past month I have noticed my bunnies getting hairloss. This hairloss is usually happening with the babies that are still housed together. However, I have seen the mom appear with one of these and she has been separated since the beginning of August. My chocolate buck is molting and has three of these spots with hair regrowth. The hairloss in question is a circular shape and has no crust. I have seen ringworm and am oh so familiar with it (I used to raise goats and lambs for FFA).To me this seems like if it is, it might be a different type of ringworm. Me and my mother who take care of these bunnies or any of our other animals do not have these spots or any irritation causing me to believe it is the ringworm I am used to seeing. These spots do seem to be throughout the herd. Any ideas on diagnosis or treatment?

IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Location. Houston, TX

Description. Tan, chocolate and black. Weight ranges from 3lbs - 5lbs

Age. Juniors and Seniors

Sex. Bucks and Does

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: Round hairless spots usually at the triangle or down the back

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? Yes
- when did they last use their litterbox? They do not have one
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? Not that I have noticed
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? I use pans filled with no scent litter

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? None
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? No
- is s/he on any medications? None

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? Purina 50/50 Show/Professional (Blue and gray bag) mix. Oats if not eating as much. Calf manna supplement (1tbsp a day)
- when and what did s/he eat last? Free fed
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) No

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Everyone seems fine
- is the rabbit molting? The chocolates are of course
- any weight loss? None
- any sign of drooling? wet face? No
- runny eyes? No
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? No
- is s/he breathing normally Yes

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No
- has the rabbit been outdoors? Variety of both indoor and outdoor bunnies
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? Cat has been sneezing but no hairloss. Dogs are fine, Rat is fine

Very interesting b/c Snuff has the same thing and it's been going on for months. At first I thought it was mites, but like you're saying, there's no crust, of course there doesn't need to be for it to still be mites. For my situation, sometimes the spots are circular and sometimes a bit rectangular and in the same places you describe.When I discover them, they seem to have new hair growing in, so, this one has boggled my mind since it started. Maybe our issues are related and it's just nothing. I've not treated for mites. I realize this wasn't much help execpt to say I've been dealing w/ same thing and it's odd.:)

What about just getting some Lotrimin cream at the drug store and applying it for a few days? That should help if it's ringworm--just put enough on that it mostly sinks in to the skin while you keep the bunny occupied with a new bowl of pellets, etc.

thank you for the replies. On my chocolate buck we did treat him with ivermectin to help with his molting situation but i did not notice the hairloss/regrowth then. i think we treated him in early august?

ill try to get a picture of the spot.

Sorry if the pictures arent too nice. Tans are not a posing breed so this girl doesn't like to be held still even for a second.
Hairloss is on the dorsal (lower) lumbar area

DSCF0576.jpg

DSCF0579.jpg

DSCF0580.jpg

Whatever do u mean? Those pics are great! Yep, looks quite similar to snuff's. Hubby has to chime in that Snuff is just getting highlights, lol, he's a goofball. But, do u see dark hair growinig back in the middle or have u? Snuff has.

definitely. Not on her yet, she just lost this hair on tuesday(no crust on the roots of the hair). However the chocolate boy Is growing back his beautiful chocolate color in those spots. That poor man he is in such a bad molt (but he is still going to the show, unless we find out this stuff is contagious which i have a feeling it is)

It could be fur mites after reading what you posted tonyshuman. None the less I am taking her to the vet to get this taken care of. Hopefully before the show. . .

The only thing is that the areas are localized and usually dont grow in size. And my other animals have not had anything like this and they are always in contact with each other.

Ivermectin would cure fur mites though, if it was given at the right dose for the right amount of time. Maybe you just didn't give enough for enough days?

Only did a couple of drops at the neck once to hurry his molting process, im sure it wasnt enough.

Here's what I just found from Dana Krempels, from HRS.

On fur mites:

Fur Mites
Symptoms of Fur mites (Cheyletiella parasitivorax) are more subtle than those of mange or ear canker, and these mites usually do not cause as much itching as some other types of mites. Fur mite infestations usually manifest as flakes in the skin that look like dandruff. In more advanced cases, the fur may actually start to fall out, leaving tufty or bald patches. Unfortunately, some types of fur mites are not easily found on skin scraping or visual inspection. But treatment with the proper medication (We have had excellent results with selamectin, sold as Revolution or Stronghold, depending on where you are.) will often clear up this problem, even if mites cannot be visualized.

just saw this thread...i have 2 Flemmies that have the same thing goin on..looks EXACTLY like ur pic...keep us posted on how they do after the Revolution. ..but why only 2 of my buns out of 10 have this..they are all housed inside ,seperate cages but all in the same room..shouldnt they all have symptoms..?

Back