Obsessive Licking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Mocha has recently acquired a taste for carpetand was wondering if anyone could help. He's not eating it (generally)but just obsessively licking it like he is grooming it.

I'm not sure if he likes the texture (maybe it reminds him of rabbitfur?) or the taste of something. Either way I don't think it's good forhim because we recently had the carpets cleaned and I assume some ofthe soap is still left in the fibers. Nothing has been spilled on thecarpet and I vacuum regularly.

When he does this in one spot, I put my hand on that spot but hedoesn't lick me. He simply moves over and licks somewhere else. So nowI've been placing items on his favorite places as if to deter him butit's not working. He licks to the point that the carpet is literallywet with rabbit slobber.

He has toys to play with and everything, but I can't figure out why hedoes this. I'm worried he may be harming himself if he's ingesting soapor something. Any ideas?

Henry licks our bookcase, no idea why that iseither. He also licks his hutch, but refuses to lick any ofus. One thing they might do is lick something that smells ofyou... don't know whether that's true, but maybe the carpetsmellsof you!

LMAO! That sounds worse than I actually mean!:?:D I don't mean you smell like a carpet! :shock::D

Hi Laura,

I wonder if someone dropped something on the carpet and he's picking upthe scent or he simply likes the flavor of the soapused. How long has he been grooming the rug, eversince you had the carpet cleaned? Was it steamedcleaned? If so, those steam machines are pretty good atgetting out the soap.

-Carolyn

He's been doing this ever since I moved down intothe basement room. I never let him in here before the carpets werecleaned because this used to be my brothers room and the carpets werefilthy and gross and had dropped freezie juice all over.

The carpets were steam cleaned and then I let him down here. I don'tthink it's food, the steam cleaner probably got the food out of thecarpet! Not only that, but he does it every where as long as it'scarpet or some sort of clothing. He will even lick the door mat at theback door when I put him down on that.

How long has he been doing this?

-Carolyn

The last 3 weeks, most noticeably in the last week and expecially last night.

I wouldn't worry too much, Laura. Just make sure he's not eating the carpet causing a blockage.

:)

-Carolyn

Well at any rate, I'm going to try to stop it. Hegets really vigorous with his licking and then bites the carpet, Ialways stop him before he eats it, but still. I've been working on someminor improvements since they both come inside so often. I have added abig box of shredded paper to hopefully distract them, I have a(breathable) box with hay inside so they have something to chew on andeat when I pull it out, and I made a litter pan out of a container lidand hopefully can litter train them. I don't think litter trainingshould be that hard, neither go to the bathroom on the carpet as theyseem to know they have to be outside to do it. :?

It's definitely wise to stop it...especially ifhe's chewing on it. Tucker does that in some areas of my apt.and I put something down in that area to stop him. It doesstop him, but I don't know why he does it.

-Carolyn

I don't really want my room smelling like vinegar. :?I can't stand that smell.

I used white pepper for Guinevere, a little pinchusually goes a long way... but then again, each bun isdifferent. He could just like the way it feels on his tongue.

Well putting pepper all over my carpet might not be so good, lol, but it's a good option if he was doing it in only one place!

However, I seem to have solved the issue. The hay occupies him becausehe simply eats it and nibbles, etc. He licked the carpet when he waslaying stetched out and trying to groom his front paws, but by using asharp no when he started licking that carpet, he seems to be learning.

Nepo licks people's clothesa lot. He also loves to lick the sofa. And he even licks me when he'smad at me. He is a licker! :DI think its because it has meandmy family's scent on it.

I would go with the white pepper idea, onlybecause my crazy girl Jaden LIKES white vinegar~in a bid to stop herfrom nibbling on blinds and the couch (which btw, Jezebel has beenspotted *grooming* I have the cleanest couch on the west coast) I putvinegar in a spray bottle and lightly misted everything that she chewson TO NO AVAIL! I even tried spraying a heavier layer, nope!

If you do want to try vinegar though, rest assured the smelldissipates, and your room/house will not smell like it by the next day.

Cher

Latest posts

Back