Oats and stuff...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybug15

Reaction score
Hi again,

I need to know what the bestliknd of oats to feed my beloved buns. Also where to get themthe cheapest...afraid that I'm not big in the muladepartment. Also, the mini rex I posted about last week(Smokey Jones), had her babies and she had two and they died.We are sad but we will have more.

BTW, does anybody know where to get a good color configurationchart? AND when is the best time to breed, as far as seasonsand things, I know they sell really well at Easter...When else would begood selling tomes?

Thank you guys so much, you are so cool!

-Jay

You can use Quaker rolled oats from the grocery store.

Are you looking for a chart on what colors you can breed together or how to id colors?

I'm ofthe "rabbits & Easter don't mix" mentalityhttp://www.rabbit.org/easter/

You would besuprised to know how many of these Easter bunniesare neglected (the "lucky" ones die). The pet market is veryfickle and there are times of the year when you can't pay someone totake the rabbits off your hands and you end up with full cages ofrabbits you can't get rid of.

The best time of the year to breed is late spring through mid summer.

Pam

In my opinion, a rabbit is a cat is a dog, is aliving, feeling being. Selling your bunnies should be a careful venturein which you find the best possible homes for them. I wouldn'tsell a bunny on Easter and more than I would a puppy at Christmas. It'sjust a very bad mix.

Oh yeah, and be careful. Oats are very fattening for bunnies, and should be served in moderation.

m.e. wrote:
Ohyeah, and be careful. Oats are very fattening for bunnies, and shouldbe served in moderation.
I am, very curious m.e.,

where did you get this information from? Could your give the name ofthe book periodical or breeder? I feel that Oats put on flesh but notfat and they are a very fine first food for weanling kits. I use themoften and can asure you, my rabbits are not fat. You have more of alikelyhood of creating a Fat-Rabbit with overfeeding and the constantsource of treats. You also may hurry the rabbits demise with the amountof sugary treats one might feed their pet rabbit. Essentially you endup killing the rabbit with kindness. I find nothing wrongwith feeding Oats of any kind. It is all a matter of finding thevariety your rabbit prefer. I have used Crimped oats, Whole oats andRolled oats [the old fashioned kind]. I prefer the rolled oats as I donot feed often enough to warrant the purchase of a #50 bag. Ihope this helped.

Oh, and I don't breed bunnies for Easter or Christmas. But I do breedthem year-round with no problems. One must be sure of a viable outletfor the culls before breeding rabbits. As always JMPO.

Dennis,C.V.R.

I din't realize that, HankHanky. When my mini-Rexwas overweight, I was told that because he was a meat rabbit, and proneto gaining weight, so I should cut back on his "sweets", like oats. Ofcourse, I didn't think to reason that a meat rabbit would be putting onmeat and not fat.

m.e. wrote:
Idin't realize that, HankHanky. When my mini-Rex was overweight, I wastold that because he was a meat rabbit, and prone to gaining weight, soI should cut back on his "sweets", like oats. Of course, I didn't thinkto reason that a meat rabbit would be putting on meat and notfat.
me,

again I am curious. Who told you that because a mini-Rex was a meatrabbit it was pron to gaining weight? I have never heard anything sopreposterous. A rabbit gains weight do to the amount of feed you are orare not feeding it. There is no such thing as a rabbit gaining weightbecause it is a meat animal. Also Mini-rex are not considered a meatbreed. They are more of a Pet/Show breed. Though any rabbit is a viablefood source. What are you feeding your rabbit? A rabbit, [and you willhere many different opinions on the subject of nutrition] a qualitypelleted rabbit feed, grasshay and water are all that is needed toprovide a balanced diet for any rabbit be it Pet show or other.Anything else that is fed to your rabbit should be considered a treatand fed as such . That is: ocassional treats can be useful but one mustrealize that any additive is/will offset the balance of the diet.Sugars are very hard on a rabbits digestive system and can bring onGIstasis quite quickly. There are good treats and there are bad treats.Any rabbit can become FAT or remain trim and in good condition. It is ahands on thing and much too lengthy to get into here. I suggest thatyou go to your local library and take out a few good books on the careand raising of rabbits. You may want to purchase a few for your homelibrary. I suggest: "Your Rabbit a Child's Guide to Raising and ShowingRabbits" by Nancy Searle. Don't let the tittle throw you this is anexcellent and well written book and easy to understand. Any book Isuggest I have read. I also [if your library has one or can get it,suggest: what is also known as the Rabbit Breeders Bible, "RabbitProduction" by McNitt,Patton,Lukfahr & Cheeke. I own the eighthedition but even an older eddition will serve you well. If looking topurchase any of these books I suggest that you visit half.com theprices are well within reason. I hope this helped.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Now I am feeding both my rabbits Oxbow Bunny-T,with plenty of hay and water. At the time, though, they were eating8-in-1 brand's rabbit food, with some oats on top. I was not, then,paying attention to serving size as I am now. As far as the mini-Rexthing goes, I was led to believe that they were raised for furprimarily, but the meat was used as well. And they do breed cows togain more weight for the food industry, why not rabbits?

I probably should get some books on rabbits, as I am certainly no expert. :D

Thank you guys for all your information! I willbe looking for some oats after school today. Does anybodyknow how to find good breeders? Thanks again, I guess it'soff to school for me!

-Jay

but the meat was used as well. And they do breed cows to gain more weight for the food industry, why not rabbits?

Hi me,

you are partially right. All rabbit meat can be used as a food source.However a Mini being smaller would be more work to get the same amountof meat as it's larger cousin, the Standard Rex. Also breeders [whetherit's cattle or rabbits] do not try to place more Fat on the rabbit.Processors becomr quite aggitated when you deliver fat/obese rabbits tothem. They are then paying you for waste product. What you want toproduce is an animal with firm flesh not an over stuffed sausage filledwith blubber. The smaller breeds are most often used as a food sourcefor raptors or reptiles. They can be eaten by humans, might be moreeconomical for a couple or small family. Fur is not as in demand as itonce was and the fur will only be in prime on an adult rabbit infull-coat. If one has an outlet for the fur it could prove profitable.Best of luck in your rabbit endeavours.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Back