Oat hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
Does anyone feed oat hay to their bunnies? I don't know much about it, but am interested in learning more.

I like to feed a variety of hay to my guys as they seem to get bored of just timothy after a while. I have tried bermuda grass and they stick their noses up at it. Alfalfa they love and I do feed sparingly. Orchard grass is a good one. And sweet meadow grass makes me have an asthma attack, so it's out. They're not fans of brome. Am I missing something?

:shock:What these bunnies do to their owners!

Anyway, I know oat hay has very high fiber content and it would be good for their teeth. But I don't know much about it as far as how to feed and if bunnies accept it as part of their diet. Mine are picky and I know nothing's for sure, but I was hoping someone else had some experiences here or other suggestions.

I'd appreciate it tons. My Einey is my pickiest one lately and I just want him to be happy...and that would make me happy...so all would be right in the world again.

:biggrin2:.

It's nice to have a change.

I recently got the different types ofhays from Oxbow. They were Oat Hay, Brome hay, Orchard grass and Botanical hay. With all the different types, my bunnies are starting to get picky about their hay too. :D

Actually, I never knew this, but Oat Hay as opposed tojust Timothy wears on the teeth differently (as all hays do, which is good:)). So, a different variety that they will take is best;).

Oat hay is great for the teeth and the gut. And most rabbits love to find the seed heads. It will change the color of their poops if they eat a lot of it....they will become lighter in color and crush into a very fine powder. Good stuff.

Randy

2hd19b5.jpg

Here is a shot of the oat hay on the right. It is a thicker and longer stem. The tan color hay with the oat husks on top has a different texture as the bunnies crunch down on their meal. It smells of the barnyard hay.

The Botanical Hay on the left is a blend of Timothy hay and three different herbs. It is a softer leafy type of hay. The fragrant herbs smells so nice, like you are having a fresh cup of herbal tea. It is much nicer than plain Timothy Hay.

my Muffin LOVES oat hay. she'll eat it and ignore veggies sometimes!! They don't like bermuda grass, and Timothy and botanical are also good.

My buns are way picky, too. They turn up their noses at any "soft" hay. In a bale of timothy there is often some softer strands...which becomes litterbox bedding...none of the 4 find that worth eating.

Oat hay is always thick and "firm"...so they are always delighted with it. I like to offer it for variety because even my finickiest eater will munch it all up!

My bunnies love their oat hay....it's the only kind of hay i can get for my bunnies here,it smells so delicious....i buy it by the bale.

P4140019.jpg

Cheryl

I also order oat hay for my rabbits from oxbow. They all seem to really like it and seem to transition from their regualr timothy and orchard grass with no problems. If your rabbits have never had it before I would at least give it a try.

Wow! A lot of responses. I'm thinking with all these oat-lovin' bunnies I should definitely try some. I don't order my hay from Oxbow, but oat hay is available where I purchase my hay from.

The next time I order, oat hay will definitely be on my list!

A few years ago I picked up a bag of Oxbow Oat Hay for Sparky and Scooter to try. They nibbled at it a little, but didn't seem to really care for it. Of course, they are the ultimate hay snobs and don't care for anything besides the American Pet Diner. Spoiled brats is what they are!

Latest posts

Back