O/T Holiday Stories

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
e-mail I received-

I remember my first Christmasadventure with Grandma. I was just a kid. I remember tearing acrosstown on my bike to visit her on the day my big sister dropped the bomb:"There is no Santa Claus," she jeered. "Even dummies know that!"

My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been. I fled to her thatday because I knew she would be straight with me. I knew Grandma alwaystold the truth, and I knew that the truth always went down a whole loteasier when swallowed with one of her world-famous cinnamon buns. Iknew they were world-famous, because Grandma said so. It had to betrue.

Grandma was home, and the buns were still warm. Between bites, I toldher everything. She was ready for me. "No Santa Claus!" she snorted."Ridiculous! Don't believe it. That rumor has been going around foryears, and it makes me mad, plain mad. Now, put on your coat, and let'sgo."

"Go? Go where, Grandma?" I asked. I hadn't even finished my secondworld-famous, cinnamon bun. "Where" turned out to be Kerby's GeneralStore, the one store in town that had a little bit of just about every-thing. As we walked through its doors, Grandma handed me ten dollars.That was a bundle in those days. "Take this money," she said, "and buysomething for someone who needs it. I'll wait for you in the car." Thenshe turned and walked out of Kerby's.

I was only eight years old. I'd often gone shopping with my mother, butnever had I shopped for anything all by myself. The store seemed bigand crowded, full of people scrambling to finish their Christmasshopping. For a few moments I just stood there, confused, clutchingthat ten- dollar bill, wondering what to buy, and who on earth to buyit for.

I thought of everybody I knew: my family, my friends, my neighbors, thekids at school, the people who went to my church. I was just aboutthought out, when I suddenly thought of Bobby Decker. He was a kid withbad breath and messy hair, and he sat right behind me in Mrs. Pollock'sgrade-two class. Bobby Decker didn't have a coat. I knew that becausehe never went out or recess during the winter. His mother always wrotea note, telling the teacher that he had a cough, but all we kids knewthat Bobby Decker didn't have a cough, and he didn't have a coat. Ifingered the ten-dollar bill with growing excitement. I would buy BobbyDecker a coat!

I settled on a red corduroy one that had a hood to it. It looked realwarm, and he would like that. "Is this a Christmas present forsomeone?" the lady behind the counter asked kindly, as I laid my tendollars down. "Yes," I replied shyly. "It's ... for Bobby." The nicelady smiled at me. I didn't get any change, but she put the coat in abag and wished me a Merry Christmas.

That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the coat in Christmas paper andribbons (a little tag fell out of the coat, and Grandma tucked it inher Bible) and write, "To Bobby, From Santa Claus" on it -- Grandmasaid that Santa always insisted on secrecy. Then she drove me over toBobby Decker's house, explaining as we went that I was now and foreverofficially one of Santa's helpers.

Grandma parked down the street from Bobby's house, and she and I creptnoiselessly and hid in the bushes by his front walk. Then Grandma gaveme a nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," she whispered, "get going."

I took a deep breath, dashed for his front door, threw the present downon his step, pounded his doorbell and flew back to the safety of thebushes and Grandma. Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness forthe front door to open. Finally it did, and there stood Bobby.

Fifty years haven't dimmed the thrill of those moments spent shivering,beside my Grandma, in Bobby Decker's bushes. That night, I realizedthat those awful rumors about Santa Claus were just what Grandma saidthey were: ridiculous. Santa was alive and well, and we were on histeam.

I still have the Bible, with the tag tucked inside: $19.95.

Thought for the Day:
He who has no Christmas in his heart will never find Christmas under a tree.

About 5 or 6 years ago my cousinasked me if I wanted to know something and I said yes. She told meSanta Claus wasn't real- it was our parents that gave us presents- butI didn't beleive her because she always lied. But two years later mymom told me the sad truth. I still get eager when Christmas is comingthough.

Did you tell Sebastian's Little Girl that story? Or does she still beleive in Santa?

Ypu must have a really good memory because you remeberedthe story really well:), I barely remember my story:p

Nepo, go look forthe thread that Sebastian's little girl posted to Carolyn today, thenyou will know what she believes. Oh, that wasn'tMY story, itwas just a story I received as anemail thatIthought was pretty cool. Just for the record. I STILLBELIEVE!

Raspberry

We were on our way home from Grandma's house lateon Christmas Eve years agoand I was half asleep -- butIdidcatch a quick glimpse of Santa and his sleigh(let by Rudolph, of course), in the clear night sky!

Pam

My mom died 11 years ago, but I still receive a Christmas card from herboyfriend every year. Brings back such wonderful memories ofwhen my mom was still alive :)

My oldest who just turned 14, believed until lastyear. He was questioning it for a couple years but we kepttelling him-of course there is a santa, how could WE afford all thosegifts?

My youngest is struggling with it this year and I am not sure he isgoing to make it through without finding out the truth. :(

I work for a non profit agency and every year we provide gifts forthousands of local children who come from low income homes.My children have put time in for years wrapping gifts, and helping outwith "Op Santa" so they know the spirit of Santa even if they figureout there is no physical Santa. I have always toldthem that we are Santa's helpers and this is how Santa reallygets the job done-he and his elves can make some stuff but withtechnology what it is today some gifts have to be purchased.That is our job-purchase, wrap, and distribute some of the gifts forSanta.

AND-because we work for Santa I have connections and they had BETTER BE GOOD!!!

That's an awesomeway to teach life lessons. I let Sebastian's little girl help pick anangel off of our local angel tree this year. She picked a little boynamed Quintin who was her age. Then she helped pick out his new clothesand toys, and helped me take them to the drop off spot for him. It washard to explain in simple enough terms for her, why it was necessary tohelp the little boys family at Christmas. I wanted her to understandbut I didn't want her little head too filled with worry at such a youngage. She has a good heart and it made her feel special tohelp.

Raspberry

Latest posts

Back